extreme slowness server

Andries Molenaar

• 2 weeks later...
There are a couple of times every day when the site slows down for server-side maintenance and backup, but that's just about ten minutes total.

Where are you located?

I thought I sent you a PM but I cannot locate in the sent messages?

I am in Netherlands on top quality provider network.

I just installed a new and very fast computer. And it is just the same extreme slowness which no other site suffers. In EU or USA. So, it is the traffic from your hosting-provider I suppose.

"Slowness" is relative.

I'm on a 5-y.o. machine myself, so maybe I cannot see the speed the new improved sight has to offer, but if you want to call something "slow", try to win an eBay auction with a '94 computer on a 14.4kbps dial-up modem and timing out the amount of time it takes the bid to get through from the end of the auction. . .

"Slowness" is relative.

I'm on a 5-y.o. machine myself, so maybe I cannot see the speed the new improved sight has to offer, but if you want to call something "slow", try to win an eBay auction with a '94 computer on a 14.4kbps dial-up modem and timing out the amount of time it takes the bid to get through from the end of the auction. . .

Well, it is so slow that I actually use a 2nd instance of the webbrowser to have somehting to do while it pulls the inforamtion from here. Used to do that in the past when I had only 19 or 33 kbps modems.

For bidding you might consider: www.bidnapper.com Although they now have an advanced page whcih loads slower but is then faster while using it. I am not suer how well your 1994 computer will handle that. The service is really a sharp bidder. Never misses and it can save some nightrest when auctions close mid night.

For bidding you might consider: www.bidnapper.com Although they now have an advanced page whcih loads slower but is then faster while using it. I am not suer how well your 1994 computer will handle that. The service is really a sharp bidder. Never misses and it can save some nightrest when auctions close mid night.

Sorry, I had just asssumed that you had never been on anything but DSL. I'm on an '03 Mac now, and some people complain that IT is too slow!

But thanks for the info; that is interesting. So it is basically an eBay automate that you can set? Very nice stuff.

Anyway, as to the auction, I normally did them from work, on the fast computers there, but I told myself, I am not going to drive 30 miles there and back for a stupid late-night auction! So I timed it out. Wouldn't work now. They updated their software shortly thereafter ('03 or '04 was when I did this, IIRC), so it won't work at all now, but I timed it out something like a 6 1/2- to 7 1/2 minute lag-time, but I WON that auction :-)

But thanks for the info; that is interesting. So it is basically an eBay automate that you can set? Very nice stuff.

lag-time, but I WON that auction :-)

Indeed a robot/automaton. Double servers with double connections etc.

Works nicely and bids just into the last few seconds. No emails to others. So that keeps out a few responses.

It is a paid service. Either with a period subscription or a pay per successfull bid.

There are also application which run from your own computer. Some for free. But then it must be on and the line must be up too. :)

• Premium Member
Is everybody experiencing extreme slowness from the server? I thought it was supposed to have become faster after the reorganisation of a few months ago.

Hi,

I have found the server rather slow for the last few weeks, from various locations in Chamonix France & Basel, Zurich & Geneva in Switzerland.

Stephen

• Premium Member

I have of agree.

Returning to this forum after an absence of some months, and not having experienced the switch-over (and the forum topic shuffling... pooh, I have to retrain myself to find things :) ), I find this forum iteration during peak times of posting a tad sluggish. However, right now, it's pretty fast, on a fast Mac with 10.5 running Safari.

-Michael

• Premium Member
There are a couple of times every day when the site slows down for server-side maintenance and backup, but that's just about ten minutes total.

Where are you located?

Perhaps those maintenance jobs could be scheduled for periods of low traffic. There was a study of worldwide internet activity that found a light period caused by the Pacific Ocean. It seems that there's a few hours between when the West coast folks in North America go to bed and when the Japanese and Australians wake up.

-- J.S.

It is not the execution of maintenance. It is about the apparent effect on the experienced performance. Everything takes for ever to appear on screen. Parts of the page parade in very slow and it takes easily 30 secs before a simple page is complete.

Either it is now hosted on server which lost its way in its data or the hosting provider has a lousy connection. If there are geographic differences (i.e. USA fast, rest slow) then there is a bad peer-agreement with the internet-exchange of that connection.

• Premium Member
It is not the execution of maintenance. It is about the apparent effect on the experienced performance. Everything takes for ever to appear on screen. Parts of the page parade in very slow and it takes easily 30 secs before a simple page is complete.

Thats generally my experience, however right now the first time in a couple of weeks its OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night the pages never completed. There is something really wrong.

This morning it is better but that is because USA is sound asleep :)

Opening a reply/quote screen is still a major thing and takes tiiiiiiime.

Whatever the improvement was. It hasn't helped the performance.

• Premium Member
Last night the pages never completed. There is something really wrong.

This morning it is better but that is because USA is sound asleep :)

Opening a reply/quote screen is still a major thing and takes tiiiiiiime.

Whatever the improvement was. It hasn't helped the performance.

Painfully slow in Zurich this morning, on a shoot so I don't have time to wait...