The Panavision Hylén System

Got to play with it at Panavision last year. Its really big and I have to admit my first reaction was that this seemed to be something which is better handled in post (particularly when the systems rental price is so high) but it did carry some serious street cred and the lure of doing it optically is tough to ignore.

It didn't have that nifty Sega Genesis controller when I saw it, that's probably worth the rental on its own.

My impression was it doesn't actually change the plain of focus so there's uses for shift and tilts yet. Plus I can't imagine this hand held...

Assistants with Playstation experience required.

I love Panavision, however, I did not see anything that could not be done with easier control in that 'dark room somewhere' they mentioned.. That 'dark room somewhere' can get you the same thing with more control and in the end cheaper as you don't have an entire crew standing around waiting for Mr. Joystick to get it right.... "that looked good but the timing was off.. one more... Take 32!" They also lost me on the "well this is done in the three dimensional world as that 'dark room somewhere' is in only two".. who cares once it hits the Neg... and if I might add.. it is those 'dark rooms somewhere' that have been making Film look fantastic! What a great marriage indeed! I am all for in Camera capture.. but this seems like a lot of $ for little return.

They used this system on Atonement and it looked great.

I was surprised too that it is so old and that "Atonement" used it. Never heard of this until yesterday, in part due to someone else seeing this thread.

Didn't "Atonement" do a full DI though? I'd wonder what the real benefits would be of both. Obviously though, optically, there are definitely more limitations and technical problems to overcome.

Now, if only they can come out with the LCD printer light that allows you to vary exposure and color correction etc etc across different areas of the negative. . .

Oh if wishes were horses :-)

• 1 month later...
I wonder what would happen if you did try it on anamorphic.....

Hi,

You can use it with front element anamorphic lenses, but it is limited i the range/usage of rear end anamorphs.

Hylen System #106 is anamorphic, which allows you to use any of the Panavision spherical lenses for anamorphic output.

Thank you,

Steve Hylen

I love Panavision, however, I did not see anything that could not be done with easier control in that 'dark room somewhere' they mentioned.. That 'dark room somewhere' can get you the same thing with more control and in the end cheaper as you don't have an entire crew standing around waiting for Mr. Joystick to get it right.... "that looked good but the timing was off.. one more... Take 32!" They also lost me on the "well this is done in the three dimensional world as that 'dark room somewhere' is in only two".. who cares once it hits the Neg... and if I might add.. it is those 'dark rooms somewhere' that have been making Film look fantastic! What a great marriage indeed! I am all for in Camera capture.. but this seems like a lot of $ for little return.

The beauty of the system is that the cinematographer can achieve effects

live and in camera which react to the performance of an actor. This

melding of real life and light distinguishes the device from alternatives

created in post production which often are created without the input from

the cinematographer.