Canon Scoopic

Kristoffer Newsom

I saw a pretty schweet music video that was shot with a Scoopic posted in a K3 thread, and wanted to extend a high five to whoever it was who shot that, but I'd also like to inquire as to the camera's pro's and cons.

What I KNOW:

only one lens, no changin' it (but it's a pretty damned nice lens). no such thing as an extended mag (daylight spools only, but they're quick to change). in-camera battery, exchangeable.

what I DON'T KNOW:

is it possible to convert to S16? Is it possible to go crystal sync? or MOS only? Will lens extensions for the Canon GL1 and 2 such as the wide angle adapter and zoom lens screw onto the scoopic lens? (eyeballed they look to be the same size) Will an eyepiece tap work with this camera?

...that's about it.

thanks folks,

Kris

Some answers:

Is it possible to convert to S16?

Don't know yet. A friend is trying it with one tho, so I can let you know.

Is it possible to go crystal sync? or MOS only?

Yes, you can Crystal it.

Will lens extensions for the Canon GL1 and 2 such as the wide angle adapter and zoom lens screw onto the scoopic lens? (eyeballed they look to be the same size)

Yup.

Will an eyepiece tap work with this camera?

Yup.

What I KNOW:

only one lens, no changin' it (but it's a pretty damned nice lens). no such thing as an extended mag (daylight spools only, but they're quick to change). in-camera battery, exchangeable.

---The Scoopic MS can use a 400' magazine. The old grey scoopic and the Scoopic M cannot.

what I DON'T KNOW:

is it possible to convert to S16?

---No, the lens doesn't cover the S16 frame, if you need S16 in this size, buy a Bolex.

Is it possible to go crystal sync? or MOS only?

---The M and MS can definitely be modded for crystal control. I owned one, worked like a charm.

Will lens extensions for the Canon GL1 and 2 such as the wide angle adapter and zoom lens screw onto the scoopic lens? (eyeballed they look to be the same size) Will an eyepiece tap work with this camera?

---The Scoopic (M and MS) have a 72mm front thread, I think that is bigger than the GL2, but not sure at all. An eyepiece tap will work on any camera, as long as it fits. Yes, you can do this.

Last, search the board for Scoopic, there is lots there.

Cheers,

Walt

Hi.

Years ago I converted a Scoopic M to super 16 with success (really a hard work...). My 12.5-75mm zoom lens cover this format at 16/9 projection, at all focals and practically all meters. Wonderfull and very sharp lens with a reliable and cheap camera.

All the best,

Lluís