becoming a grip

zak ong

PA as much as you can.

Work as much as you can, for free or not.

Make friends with the grips as much as you can.

Help out the grips as much as you can without getting in the way.

Keep your ears and eyes open.

Have patience.

-DW

Edited by Daniel Wallens

Looking for a foot in the door in grip. I am willing to work for free. Is there a place I can start to look?

I highly suggest you check out these resources:

http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/024...CRHDVYQ65H&

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240804953?tag=wh...2JN3RK38FN&

http://electricandgrip.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.realfilmcareer.com/forum

And as everyone (and those resources above will tell you in greater detail), it's all about just jumping in. If you don't know anyone, visit filmschools and volunteer to work on student films. Look for listings for indie films and volunteer to work on those. It's all about getting on sets, meeting people, and learning as you go.

There aren't a lot of shortcuts. You could struggle for years in the low-budget world and never get beyond it or you could meet the "right" people and find yourself working on big movies within months. It's partly luck, but you are out to create your own opportunities instead of waiting for them to come to you. Work hard, be pleasant, and remain passionate and resilient and you'll likely be able to make a living as a Grip eventually.

Good luck!

And as everyone (and those resources above will tell you in greater detail), it's all about just jumping in.

It's all about getting on sets, meeting people, and learning as you go.

Work hard, be pleasant, and remain passionate and resilient and you'll likely be able to make a living as a Grip eventually.

Good luck!

Could not have summed it up better. Where do you live? If you were in India I could organise something . Most people in this country who want to be grips start off by emailing me :lol:

I think Bryan and Dans advice is very good.

Good luck and hope you have a very strong back !!

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

By working smart, I hope you aren't referring to the "executive grips" who watch others do the heavy lifting?

Whichever way you look at it, as a grip you are going to have to do some heavy lifting.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to carry a fisher 10 upstairs.

However, my wish for a strong back was a way of saying that I hope you are prepared for the work that goes into being a grip. I get a lot of guys coming to work with me out of film school, who have great intentions, but have no idea how hard the work can be physically.

sincerely

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

Could not have summed it up better. Where do you live? If you were in India I could organise something . Most people in this country who want to be grips start off by emailing me :lol:

I think Bryan and Dans advice is very good.

Good luck and hope you have a very strong back !!

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

I would go to India for the opportunity too!!!

I would go to India for the opportunity too!!!

If you are serious. we can discuss it. No pay (maybe a pittance as an intern stipend) and you will have to find your own accomodation if we are filming in Bombay. If we are elsewhere in India, production will organise it.

If nothing else, it will be an adventure ! And you get the experience as a grip.

Think ...

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

If you are serious. we can discuss it. No pay (maybe a pittance as an intern stipend) and you will have to find your own accomodation if we are filming in Bombay. If we are elsewhere in India, production will organise it.

If nothing else, it will be an adventure ! And you get the experience as a grip.

Think ...

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

sanjay; take me instead!

By working smart, I hope you aren't referring to the "executive grips" who watch others do the heavy lifting?

Whichever way you look at it, as a grip you are going to have to do some heavy lifting.

However, my wish for a strong back was a way of saying that I hope you are prepared for the work that goes into being a grip. I get a lot of guys coming to work with me out of film school, who have great intentions, but have no idea how hard the work can be physically.

sincerely

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

LOL, There are always the guys that forget to lift carefully at the end of a long day when loading the truck up or the ones that try to do everything with brute strength. Extra leverage and using extra available manpower (meaning the guy in the corner not doing anything) can make the work load a lot easier. Simple things like bringing the work up to you, not you bending down to it, make a big difference.

Think ...

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

Wow, Sanjay, you are the man. It's people like you that bring happiness to the world; willing to reach out and lend a helping hand, But then again differnt country, different intensions.

Honestly, sounds awesome! always wanted to check out India. So say I was interested, would I come in on production that is currently filming now, or for a up coming production?

• 1 month later...

Hi, everyone, first time poster.

I'm going to be working as a grip for the first time in a couple days. Does anyone have any advice on what I should bring with me in respect to equipment? I have not received any information on the shoot itself except that it is in a city park, so what in general is it a good idea to show up with as a grip?

Thanks for any advice.

I believe 'working smarter' would mean ordering a Pee Wee or Fisher 11 for that upstairs shot.

Zak.. if you are in LA you have no excuse to not be on a Set within 10 days. Pick up a Dramalogue.. there are loads of lo/ no budget Shows posted in there.. get the Hollywood Reporter (Tues issue I believe) posts Shows in production and pre-production.... start at a Rental House and meet people.. offer to go out on a couple all nighters and move sand bags and c-stands all night and win the Best Boy Grip over.. follow any Caterer or Honey Wagon you see rolling down the 101 (just kidding)..

Pick up a Dramalogue.. there are loads of lo/ no budget Shows posted in there..

You won't find Dramalogue anymore. It was purchased by BackStage a few years ago. There is an online version at http://www.backstage.com/bso/index.jsp or look for it on newsstands or for free on various studio lots and other shooting locations around LA.

Other periodicals and resources that may help the aspiring "filmmaker" are all listed at http://www.realfilmcareer.com in the forums.

• Premium Member

Hit the gym at least four times a week, run 30 minutes a day, do yoga (obviously when working this may not always be possible).Everything you do to build strength, endurance, and flexibility makes you more valuable on a film set. Being in tip top shape makes it a lot easier to say "No problem, I'll get right on it" regardless of how long a day you've had.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my one day as a grip came and went well, even though I wasn't sure what to bring with me. I worked on another production after, in another department, as a favor and now I am looking to do more work in gripping and electric. I really want to get into lighting, but I do not know much about it yet. If anyone has any advice on how I could do it, or how you would do it if you could start again, I am a really interested to know.

I have a friend who is a gaffer who I want to get information from, but I also want to get jobs from him and sometimes I feel the more I ask him, the more I reveal how little I know about this.

I volunteer on every shoot I can get onto but not always in the department I wish to be in. I volunteer so much, just to learn, that I do not even have a paying job, on set, or anywhere else. So I was thinking, I could kill two birds with one stone if I were to take a job at a rental facility like Whites because I would earn money and learn equipment.

I would love to hear any input that more experienced grips, gaffers, or anyone else may have.

Got to start somewhere, and a rental house is as good a place as any. The first difference between unskilled and skilled is the ability to identify equipment. Once you know what - for example - a half-double scrim is, you are way more useful than someone who doesn't know what this or that is. At that point, you can at least bring a piece of gear to set without the DP, or Gaffer or Key Grip taking as much time describing it as he would take to just go get it himself.

Tomorrow I have a screening to go to where I may run into some people from a couple of rental facilities. Hopefully I can schmooze my way through a new door that way. Thanks for the advice Jon. If you have any other ideas how to take another step forward I appreciate it.

Edited by Illuminate Me

• Premium Member
Hit the gym at least four times a week, run 30 minutes a day, do yoga...

I got a chuckle from this because it is the rare grip who hits the gym 4 times a week! It would be a great benefit to most of them though!

Also, "Illuminate Me" you need to use you're real name on this forum.