Cinematography of Lost (TV series)

Petr Berger

Don't know what cameras, or more importantly, what LENSES are used, but I know it's a 35mm shoot, with slow stuff, probably Vision2 5201 (50-speed).

I also know that they had to shoot a whole episode over because of a film/x-ray mishap at the airport. Why they don't have at least one film lab in Hawai'i is beyond me. . .

• Premium Member

Citing IMDB, LOST is shot on:

Arri 35-3 (effects shots)

Panavision Gold II, Panavision Platinum Cameras, Primo Lenses

Panavision Panaflex Lightweight Camera (Steadicam)

Laboratory

Technicolor

Film negative format (mm/video inches)

35 mm (Kodak Vision2 500T 5218, Eastman EXR 100T 5248)

Cinematographic process

Super 35 (3-perf) (source format)

HDTV (1080p/24) (master format)

Printed film format

Video (HDTV)

Aspect ratio

1.78 : 1

Without looking it up on IMDB i could tell that its Panavision 3 perf from the strange light flares that occur from time to time when the cam is hand held or panned. I have seen these flares on 24 as well and it's also shot on Panavision.

@ Karl

I can imagine that the lab issue is because of contracts with Technicolor. Reshooting a complete episode is a tough swallow.

Don't know what cameras, or more importantly, what LENSES are used, but I know it's a 35mm shoot, with slow stuff, probably Vision2 5201 (50-speed).

I also know that they had to shoot a whole episode over because of a film/x-ray mishap at the airport. Why they don't have at least one film lab in Hawai'i is beyond me. . .

Nothing Rushes in Hawaii... :lol:

• 3 years later...

Finally watching this show... Even though the quality is terrible on Netflix, is it me or does the show have focus problem? Seems like to me they're shooting with telephoto lens wide open as much as possible to get shallow depth of field. Combine that with moving subjects and it's a tough job for the first ac.

• Premium Member

. Why they don't have at least one film lab in Hawai'i is beyond me. . .

We don't have nearly enough business in Hawaii to support such a lab. it wouldn't be cost effective over the long run.

G