Rolling out

Do you have any idea how many film cameras around the world are going to 'roll out' today?

As noted (again and again) 'rolling out' DURING A TAKE is grounds for firing..... that said... rolling out (in itself) doesn't hurt the camera or film.. they were made for it.. I have done it thousands of times... gonna roll out several times tomorrow :P

Somebody should have mentioned all this to Vilmoz Zigmond, Lazlo Kovacs, Haskell Wexler, Michael Chapman, Jordon Cronenweth, Caleb Deschanel, Darius Wolski, Amir Mocrie and many many others that I have worked with and seen 'roll out' almost every roll.. not during a take.. (actually I have seen them roll out during takes when all involved agreed it is ok).. but just as a normal course of action to finish off the roll and send back for downloading.

My ARRI has no 'We recommend not allowing the tail of the roll to pass through the Gate' warning label... never saw it on any Panavision I have used...

Yes I am aware that cameras will roll all over the world and nothing will happen to them. It doesn't change that rolling out might damage a camera. Jams are much worse. Hey, roll out all you want. In most cases where an AC is ready to roll out an AC will cut the camera as he hears the film come off the spool and exit the mag right before the film enters the gate. Like I said, have a ball, roll out all you want.