My Thesis Film: Hard Cost(1950's Noir/Adventure) please donate!

I am a new poster here, but I know some of you have shown interest in my work so I thought I would share with you my next film.

Hard Cost is a Noir/Adventure piece set in 1950's Los Angeles. We are making a film that would be compared to a blend of The Maltese Falcon and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I wrote the screenplay and will be shooting it as well. I would like to kindly ask any of you to donate if at all possible. We are all graduating seniors from SDSU and are paying for this film out of our own pockets. Our budget is $6000, so every little bit helps. You will receive donor credit as well as a copy of the film when it is completed in May!

My crew and I have gone all out, trying to make this film stand apart from other student work as well as put a new spin on the Noir genre. We have the cars, the detective's office, the guns, the hard boiled dialogue, and plenty of more goodies.

I will keep you posted on any Hard Cost news and will hopefully have production stills on monday

The website, which is still being worked on is here:

www.hardcostfilm.com

Please donate if you can!

Thanks for your support!

My reel is here if you want to see some of my work:

http://vimeo.com/3448784

I wrote the screenplay and will be shooting it as well. I would like to kindly ask any of you to donate if at all possible. We are all graduating seniors from SDSU and are paying for this film out of our own pockets. Our budget is $6000, so every little bit helps. You will receive donor credit as well as a copy of the film when it is completed in May!

Ok you're new here so before one of the harsher members gets a hold of this I'll just let you know that no one here will appreciate you asking for a cash hand out to make a thesis film.

Your timing is ill conceived as you may have read in other threads many members here are struggling under the economic downturn, and most are more concerned with paying rent and electric bills than donating money to a thesis film.

It really isn't appropriate to come on here and actually ask for money. Advice yes, money no.

Plus, you are not a charity and no one will receive a charitable tax deduction for handing over money for your project.

Second to last, hundreds of people in your position have used the bank of VISA and Master Card to get these projects done, if you and your friends truly believe in this project why not go that route?

Lastly, all that said, good luck with your project.

R,

• Premium Member

Thesis film I just shot had a Directors American Express card (ironically the Lab didn't take American Express!)

Reality is, most first films are going to be self financed. You can maybe get food etc in-kind and the like..but bank on paying out of pocket.

Ok you're new here so before one of the harsher members gets a hold of this I'll just let you know that no one here will appreciate you asking for a cash hand out to make a thesis film.

Your timing is ill conceived as you may have read in other threads many members here are struggling under the economic downturn, and most are more concerned with paying rent and electric bills than donating money to a thesis film.

It really isn't appropriate to come on here and actually ask for money. Advice yes, money no.

Plus, you are not a charity and no one will receive a charitable tax deduction for handing over money for your project.

Second to last, hundreds of people in your position have used the bank of VISA and Master Card to get these projects done, if you and your friends truly believe in this project why not go that route?

Lastly, all that said, good luck with your project.

R,

I am so sorry, I did not mean to break any rules. If a mod could please delete this thread I could make a new one without the donation part. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
I am so sorry, I did not mean to break any rules. If a mod could please delete this thread I could make a new one without the donation part. Thank you.

Why not ask for some advice, you may find that with that 6,000 you can do a lot, advice here will save you money, asking what you can do with the budget you have will get you a great response, your thesis sounds interesting, you have a committed crew apparently, see what you can do with that.

• Premium Member
Why not ask for some advice, you may find that with that 6,000 you can do a lot, advice here will save you money, asking what you can do with the budget you have will get you a great response, your thesis sounds interesting, you have a committed crew apparently, see what you can do with that.

$6k is an average to healthy thesis film budget at the school I went to.

$6k is an average to healthy thesis film budget at the school I went to.

hey, I live in San Diego and would not mind helping out as an AC or something, let me know man.

I do DP work but always looking to help

Kyle

looks good. wish it was shot on film.

I wish I could have shot it on film. My school had a grant from panavision this semester, so we got a panavision camera package with lenses for $300 a day. However, after buying film and the telecine process I would have been grossly overbudget. I was thinking of then possibly shooting 16mm, but I really wanted to shoot 35 and after discussing all options with my group we settled on the Red. I hope sometime I will be able to shoot 35. I never have, which upsets me.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

I wish I could have shot it on film. My school had a grant from panavision this semester, so we got a panavision camera package with lenses for $300 a day. However, after buying film and the telecine process I would have been grossly overbudget. I was thinking of then possibly shooting 16mm, but I really wanted to shoot 35 and after discussing all options with my group we settled on the Red. I hope sometime I will be able to shoot 35. I never have, which upsets me.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Looks really good, nailed the noir aspect well. Maybe a suggestion in the future, maybe a little bit of atmosphere would help. Hazers can do wonders to a look, definitely for a noir. I liked the crane shot with the car a lot, only complaint is the sharpness (haze would help cut this down and give it some more texture and cools shafts in places.)