Spec Commercial on the 2008 Ford Fusion Test

• Premium Member

The music is incredibly annoying. As far as cinematography is concerned, the racks get there and then keep going right on past and go soft again. Also- and this is the biggest problem- we never see the car! In a car commercial, we have to see the car and it has to look good.

The music is incredibly annoying. As far as cinematography is concerned, the racks get there and then keep going right on past and go soft again. Also- and this is the biggest problem- we never see the car! In a car commercial, we have to see the car and it has to look good.

fully agree

And, the two medium shots of the drivers side with the steering wheel in the shot. You did not flag off the glare that is on the Ford logo, which means the light blew out possibly the most important thing in this commercial (Aside from the full shots of the car).

• Premium Member
Man, you guys are cruel, but fair. The zooms didn't work either. :(

I don't think it's cruel. Nobody ever got better at a creative pursuit by having people lie to them and tell them what they want to hear.

I don't think it's cruel. Nobody ever got better at a creative pursuit by having people lie to them and tell them what they want to hear.

I guess I should have used a smilie. I was somewhat of a ball buster with my AC's when they lost focus. A key grip I worked with named Mike Colwell used to say, "Tom, that was cruel. Fair, but cruel." I always found that funny. He was a bigger ball buster than me. What you said was not cruel and I agree with yours assessment.

I guess I should have used a smilie. I was somewhat of a ball buster with my AC's when they lost focus. A key grip I worked with named Mike Colwell used to say, "Tom, that was cruel. Fair, but cruel." I always found that funny. He was a bigger ball buster than me. What you said was not cruel and I agree with yours assessment.

Hi to all, I thank you for your comments and I like honesty. I was just doing some test shots and i thought why not put it up to see what people think. I just used natural light and yeah their were a few minor things but I was working on some cine settings in the camera. And for the focus that's the type I was going for and I was doing my own focusing. I know I was a 1st AC on a few gigs and trust me focus is key but I have worked with some DP's where they wanted a lot of rack focusing.

Hi to all, I thank you for your comments and I like honesty. I was just doing some test shots and i thought why not put it up to see what people think. I just used natural light and yeah their were a few minor things but I was working on some cine settings in the camera. And for the focus that's the type I was going for and I was doing my own focusing. I know I was a 1st AC on a few gigs and trust me focus is key but I have worked with some DP's where they wanted a lot of rack focusing.

He means racking to something and not through something. Most racks stop when you land on the subject and it is in sharp focus.

Edited by Tom Jensen

He means racking to something and not through something. Most racks stop when you land on the subject and it is in sharp focus.

Yes I know that thank you but that was the type of look I was going for.

• Premium Member
Yes I know that thank you but that was the type of look I was going for.

So you were going for the "sloppy, not going to get called back for the next spot" look? <_<

Feedback doesn't do you any good if you just argue with it. ;)

So you were going for the "sloppy, not going to get called back for the next spot" look?

Feedback doesn't do you any good if you just argue with it. - Chris Keth

Chris, I agree with your assessments, however, when an 'artist' says that is the look they were going for, we have to take it as just that. It is not an arguement... just a statement of (their) fact.

So, tho we don't appreciate the 'look'.. he does...

• Premium Member
Hi to all this video I have linked below I was the DP/Camera Op. I shot a spec commercial for the 2008 Ford Fusion. Please tell me what you think.

Hi Corey,

Not to pile on, but I believe the "American Made" Fusion is manufactured in Ford's Hermosillo, Mexico plant. :)

-Fran

Hi Corey,

Not to pile on, but I believe the "American Made" Fusion is manufactured in Ford's Hermosillo, Mexico plant. :)

-Fran

Hahaha thanks fran that was a funny lol. All this video was just some settings I was playing with and why not try some different things. I know about focus I was a 1st and a 2nd AC for 3 years and I have pulled some fine ass focusing on a few different jobs. So I though I would try a few things different. And here is the video that I was a 1st AC on that was where I had to pull focus and it was a pain in the ass but I got it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kdrxeqncbk

• Premium Member
Hahaha thanks fran that was a funny lol. All this video was just some settings I was playing with and why not try some different things. I know about focus I was a 1st and a 2nd AC for 3 years and I have pulled some fine ass focusing on a few different jobs. So I though I would try a few things different. And here is the video that I was a 1st AC on that was where I had to pull focus and it was a pain in the ass but I got it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kdrxeqncbk

Corey,

Listen--you have to start somewhere. I mean, at least you're out there shooting something. That's the only way you're going to learn what you like/don't like.

FWIW the top car commercials are lit by experts using a whole bag of tricks you probably wouldn't believe unless you were to see them in person. (At least they were before the era of bailouts.) For example, there's what is called a "buck", essentially a car with the roof chopped off so you can light the interior like a tabletop still life. The instrument panels controls and interior lights are on individual circuits that allow for precise adjustment of each panel or instrument. Camera cranes, stabilized heads, the list goes on. And, of course, they are shot on 35mm film.

Keep at it, and good luck!

-Fran

Corey,

Listen--you have to start somewhere. I mean, at least you're out there shooting something. That's the only way you're going to learn what you like/don't like.

FWIW the top car commercials are lit by experts using a whole bag of tricks you probably wouldn't believe unless you were to see them in person. (At least they were before the era of bailouts.) For example, there's what is called a "buck", essentially a car with the roof chopped off so you can light the interior like a tabletop still life. The instrument panels controls and interior lights are on individual circuits that allow for precise adjustment of each panel or instrument. Camera cranes, stabilized heads, the list goes on. And, of course, they are shot on 35mm film.

Keep at it, and good luck!

-Fran

Thank you fran I know how commercials are done I have done a lot of commercials as a AC and thank you. I have seen my share of two big lighting and grip trucks on both big and small commercials that I have worked on. I have worked on every Arri, panavision and moviecam in both 16mm, 35, and HD that you can think of. Oh also the Sony F23 which is a camera made by panavision. But I thank you for your comments, I wish I had a 10 ton lighting truck but it cost $$$$$ and I made the switch over to DP/Camera Op back on Nov. since I was not getting any AC work because of the economy the way it is I have been able to keep somewhat busy as a camera op.

Film

2008-"H20 Extreme" Mirror Image Productions Corp. 2nd Assistant Camera "B" Camera-(16mm)

2008-"The Message" Clay Castle Productions. 1st Assistant Camera-(HD/24P)

2006-"Street Dreams" Scissor Farm Entertainment. 2nd Assistant Camera-(Film/HD)

2004-"Street Wokn" FMU Productions. 2nd Assistant Camera /Film Loader-(35mm)

Television

2006-"CFC" Realm Studios/CFC Productions. Assistant Camera-(HD)

2006-"Party Police Wild on the Water 2" Baby Jake Media/Court T.V. Assistant Camera-(HD)

2006- "Party Police Wild on the Water" Baby Jake Media/Court T.V. Assistant Camera-(HD)

2006-"Instant Beauty Pageant" Earth Angle Productions/Style Network. Assistant Camera: Orlando-(SD)

2005- "Making the Band 3" Bad Boy Worldwide Entertainment Group/MTV. Production Assistant: Orlando-(SD)

2005-Pilot "Vulture Island" Spectrum Field Productions. Additional 1st Assistant Camera-(24p)

Commercials

2008- "Reebok" Sleeping Tree Films. Film Loader-(35mm)

2008-"Papa Johns" MacGuffin Films. 2nd Assistant Camera-(35mm)

2007- "PGA" Go Film Productions. 2nd Assistant Camera-(16mm)

2007-"NASA Shuttle Ride" 2nd Assistant Camera/Film Loader-(35mm)

Music Videos

2009-"Lady V (Saddle Up)" Palmer Productions. Director of Photography-(HD/24P)

2007-"Plies feat. T-Pain (Shawty)" Pure Productions. 2nd Assistant Camera-(35mm)

2007-"Stars of Track and Field" (Movies of Antarctica) Roccatu Productions. 1st Assistant Camera-(16mm)

Video

2009-"L'ren C Live at Vintage Lounge" LA. Musiq Entertainment. DP/Camera Op-(HD)

2009-"Scout Combines 2009" Fox Sports. Camera Op-(SD)

2007-"Give Kids the World" Give Kids the world Foundation. Camera Op "B" Cam-(SD)

2006-"(IAFF) Terrorism" BMA Productions. Assistant Camera-(HD)

Other

2007-Present: "EFP/ENG Freelance" Camera Op-Bob Cross Video Productions

2006-2008: "Freelance" Camera Op-PSAV

Film Cameras (16mm and 35mm)

Panavision Cameras

Panavision Platinum

Panavision Gold

Panavision Gold 2

Panavision Millennium

Panavision XL2

Panavision Panaflex

Panavision Panastar