Unloading 535 mag

I am going to be working a job 2nd AC's on the arri 535B. I was brushing up on it in the Professional cameraman's handbook and it mentioned that because of the collapsible core on the take-up, that after removing the exposed film to then insert a plastic core. I don't recall doing that when I learned that camera and mag in school. Is that right, or do the labs take it without a core as well? It seems very easy to cone the film trying to put a core in afterwards.

For clarification, this is a really low budget shoot and the 1st AC and producer are well aware that I am still relatively new to loading film (I come from video) and willing to help me learn. I also plan to practice and brush up with some dumby loads when we check out the gear.

I am going to be working a job 2nd AC's on the arri 535B. I was brushing up on it in the Professional cameraman's handbook and it mentioned that because of the collapsible core on the take-up, that after removing the exposed film to then insert a plastic core. I don't recall doing that when I learned that camera and mag in school. Is that right, or do the labs take it without a core as well? It seems very easy to cone the film trying to put a core in afterwards.

For clarification, this is a really low budget shoot and the 1st AC and producer are well aware that I am still relatively new to loading film (I come from video) and willing to help me learn. I also plan to practice and brush up with some dumby loads when we check out the gear.

You can but you don't have to. The lab can deal with it.

Hi Dan,

I always put a core into the exposed film after I take it off the collapsible core. It helps the roll to keep its shape while it's being handled and stops it from unspooling from the centre. I don't find it difficult to insert the core - it shouldn't be a very tight fit. Give the core a little twist as you insert it - as if you were screwing it in - and it won't cone the roll.

The tricky bit is taking the roll off the collapsible core - take care not to let the end of the film in the centre of the roll slip out and unspool. Very messy and fiddly to wind it back in. Just take it nice and slow when you're starting out and it'll soon become second nature.

• Premium Member
Could you not, like I did on my SR3, remove the collapsible core and put a core holder in there?

But you can also leave it core-less. I have on occasion but I don't like to, and made sure to write "NO CORE" on the can.

You could. The spindle is the same. I never worried about it and just leave it "air cored."

My understanding is that the lab removes(knocks out) "your" core at the beginning of the process. So they don't really need it. I would think that if you are using an SR3 or another camera that commonly uses collapsible cores that they would assume or at least have a good idea that there wouldn't be a core in there.

Unravelling an unprocessed 1,000-foot 35mm mag onto the floor, which Kodak euphemistically called "telescoping" or something is a BIG MESS which will introduce dirt, scratches, synch marks, and other damage to the film.

Don't "tempt fate" and Murphy's Law; leave the core alone! :blink:

Unravelling an unprocessed 1,000-foot 35mm mag onto the floor, which Kodak euphemistically called "telescoping" or something is a BIG MESS which will introduce dirt, scratches, synch marks, and other damage to the film.

The longest job that I used a 535 on was for 7 months. The loader never put a core in and we never had a problem. The hole where the core was actually makes the load easier to handle. You can do what you wish but the time it takes to put a core in isn't worth it to me. If this were an issue, what would be the point of a collapsible core? It would just add another step.

Apparently you didn't read the part where it was a collapsible core.

Or maybe I don't know what a collapsible core is.

As an aside, sarcasm really doesn't transfer well over the internet. . .

Well since you list your job as a loader you should know what a collapsible core is. Or maybe your just a jack off 15 year old.

Or maybe I don't understand your Fargo-like silly slang :unsure:

Maybe I'm a hell-of-a-lot older than 15 and have loaded hundreds of thousands of feet of 16mm, but never done 35.

Remember that "assume" is spelled ASS-u-me.

Or maybe I don't understand your Fargo-like silly slang :unsure:

Maybe I'm a hell-of-a-lot older than 15 and have loaded hundreds of thousands of feet of 16mm, but never done 35.

Remember that "assume" is spelled ASS-u-me.

If you've never loaded 35 than you are bush-league.

This is the Packers vs the Giants. I think I may have misread Karl's post saying to put a core in when he said not to put a core in. Either way, you don't need a core. Now, both of you go to your corners, you may have to work together someday. I remember back in the mid 80's when I was working at Otto Nemenz a lot of AC's were accidentally pulling off the SR16 cores and sending them to the labs. In a few years, you guys will never want to load another mag as long as you live.

Edited by Tom Jensen

This is the Packers vs the Giants. I think I may have misread Karl's post saying to put a core in when he said not to put a core in. Either way, you don't need a core. Now, both of you go to your corners, you may have to work together someday. I remember back in the mid 80's when I was working at Otto Nemenz a lot of AC's were accidentally pulling off the SR16 cores and sending them to the labs. In a few years, you guys will never want to load another mag as long as you live.

I'm from Chicago so it's not Packers VS. Giants, and I will never work with him because he's never seen a RED one in person and couldn't thread a 435 to save his life. I also would not be caught dead in new york.

Edited by Michael Kubaszak

Guys, what the hell? This is a professional forum. For example, I'm sitting here watching Adult Swim and smokin a j while reading about cameras.

Anyway. I just realized that I have NEVER ONCE written "no core" on the can after downloading an SR mag.

Am I going to hell for that?

Also, Michael, New York's not so bad. It's all right if you like saxophones (bonus points if you get the Fear reference ;-) ). But you must be nice to the people in this business, or they will not let you sit with them at lunch and they might even "accidentally delete" your number from their phone or something. I'm just saying.

I mean, there are people I've worked with before who I wouldn't work with again if it was the last job on earth and both my legs were on fire, while wild dogs tore at my innards. But it's not like I TELL them that.

...Carry on....

• Premium Member
Anyway. I just realized that I have NEVER ONCE written "no core" on the can after downloading an SR mag.

Am I going to hell for that?

Probably not. But I never have either so you'd at least have company in the 6-3/4 circle.

In a hollow attempt to bring this thread back around. I will now post a photo of a collapsible core for Karl, if I can find one:

OK, I can't find one but here's a link to an excerpt of David Elkin's AC book (see page 83)

Boy, the AC forum has been getting pretty uncivil lately… I guess work is slow.

Me three in the whole "never written 'no core'" jawn; though I do insert a core in every 5th roll just to f* with the lab. (It's the little things that keeps me going…). Its not an issue, and while I'm sure mistakes have been made, the lab techs are smart enough to, y'know, feel the roll and check to see if there's a core or not.

Ya see what you've done now, Dan? Asking a relevant question in a professional forum, therefore starting a snark-war to determine who's got the biggest… changing tent. This is why we can't have nice things!

• Premium Member
If this were an issue, what would be the point of a collapsible core?

Indeed. In the old days I even pushed the non-collapsible cores out sometimes, if we were short of cores. A little twist the right way tightens the film outward, the core slips out easy. Very little danger of telescoping the roll. (Twist the wrong way and it won't let go, so you know to twist the other way.)

-- J.S.