Movies shot on Sony F35?

Mark Townend

does anybody know of any movies shot on the sony f35? or tv?

thanks.

F35 is brand new, they just barely released it at NAB last year, and I actually don't know if they've put it into full production yet. (I could be horribly wrong). But, I know there are millions of movies/television shows shot on the 2/3 inch counter part everyday, the F23.

Edited by Sean Bagley

• Premium Member

F23 and F35 are both quite new. They're pretty much the same camera except for the sensor. The board that the sensor output goes to has two connectors, one for F23, the other for F35. It's the 2/3" three chip F900 that was the workhorse of early HD production, and is still very much in use, particularly for sitcoms and news.

-- J.S.

Beautiful (http://www.thebeautifulmovie.com/) - released at the Adelaide Film Festival in February - was apparently one of the first features in the world to use the F23, so I'd say it's far too early for an F35 feature yet.

Birthday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1199778/), also shot on the F23, is due for release later this year.

We had a sony engineer doing a demo in Anchorage, Alaska about a month ago, and he said there were only 35 of them in the world. Being so new I doubt there are any completed films yet. Maybe some on sets right now though.

On a positive note I took the time to get familiar and with an engineer there to guide me, I can tell you its an AWSOME camera. A little big, but the image is there. I framed up shots with deep shadow and sun hit snow and it was able to hold the detail. Very neat camera.

But yes, it is identical to the f23. It has a s35 sized CCD (not CMOS) chip. The best part about the demo was there were a lot of red cameras on hand. So while everyone else flocked to the Reds, I had the F35 and the engineer all to myself. I took advantage of that opportunity I can tell you.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Shot with both Thomson Viper and F-23.

F-23's were used in the Hospital present day scenes and for many close ups. The reason is that the cooling fans on the Viper are quite loud and do not shut off when rolling. Its difficult to get good sound in a small room or with the Viper very close.

They intercut very well.

The f-35 should be similar in quality.

I've shot with Genesis and f-23 and there is a slight difference apart from depth of field.

does anybody know of any movies shot on the sony f35? or tv?

thanks.

• Premium Member
Isn't the Genesis essentially an F35?

I asked about that. Sony makes the CCD's for both, and both are 5760 x 2160 photosites, vertical stripe RGB masked, and 35mm film equivalent size. But the chips are not interchangeable, and everything from there back is different. Genesis has been around a few years longer.

-- J.S.