Camera Assistant Tape Measures?

What kind of tape measures do camera assistants generally use? I've read that actors are sometimes uncomfortable with having a metal tape near them. But I've also heard that fabric tape measures sometimes stretch and give inaccurate measurements. Would a regular Home Depot tape measure suffice?

• Premium Member
What kind of tape measures do camera assistants generally use? I've read that actors are sometimes uncomfortable with having a metal tape near them. But I've also heard that fabric tape measures sometimes stretch and give inaccurate measurements. Would a regular Home Depot tape measure suffice?

I have two that I use.

One is a fiberglass soft tape. I cut the toothed hook off of the end so now it's just a little round bar that hooks nicely over tapehooks on a camera.

I also carry a 16' fat max steel tape. I dipped the tip of it in this rubbery stuff you can make tool handles out of so it no longer has sharp metal edges at all. I don't use it for anything else to keep the rubberizing stuff on.

I always used a a Rabone. I think the stretching thing was kind of a myth. In my bag I had a back up cloth Stanley, an electronic tape measure and a steel tape that I used for Steadicam. I have seen some people put a bunch of cloth tape over the end of the tape measure but I never did. I would just run the tape to a point off to the side that I thought was close an called it a day. Pulling focus is as much of an art as it is science and math.

• Premium Member

I still have a 50 Ft. fiberglass that I converted to a loop end. The problem with steel that long on a film shoot is that it gets stepped on, and breaks at the crease. A 1" Fat Max is only good for about 10 Ft. before it can't support its own weight. So, depending what you're doing, it may or may not be worth schlepping it along.

-- J.S.

Rabone 50' with the guts updated since it did stretch after 10ft. a 25ft fatmax extreme but I won't use it over 12' and my favorite is the Hilti 42 Disto. I use the fatmax tons and then the Disto. If I want to run my 2nd around I'll use my Rabone or if I am dealing with actors that don't like lasers in their eyes :-)

• Premium Member
and my favorite is the Hilti 42 Disto.

"Disto" is a Leica model name. It looks like they have a deal with Stanley for a re-branded version:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TY...EFT=left_pr.htm

Hilti's PD-42 is reputed to be better for day exterior work:

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prca...272&fview=1

Spendy, though -- $500 - 600 range.

-- J.S.

"Spendy" is true, though i do feel my Hilti saves me $500 worth of running around every feature (whatever that means…). I've suggested before and will do so again: spend the extra ~$150 and go with the Hilti PD-42 over the 40! I ignored a friend's advice and have been kicking myself since.

BTW, anybody wanna buy my PD-40? (/jk)

• 1 month later...
"Spendy" is true, though i do feel my Hilti saves me $500 worth of running around every feature (whatever that means…). I've suggested before and will do so again: spend the extra ~$150 and go with the Hilti PD-42 over the 40! I ignored a friend's advice and have been kicking myself since.

BTW, anybody wanna buy my PD-40? (/jk)

why is the 42 better than the 40? what feature specifically make it better?

IIRC, the 42 has a visual scope built into the side that allows you to pinpoint your target when spotting the little red dot can be a hassle (in bright sunlight or when gauging long distances, for example). I might have the model names mixed up (I don't know if they've revamped the line-up lately), but I think the scope is worth the $.

Anyone know where you can get a rabone? I've found a few on ebay but they're all pretty beat up. I'm at a loss here, I love the feel of them and I'm just tired of the sharp hooks on the end of my fiberglass.

• Premium Member
Anyone know where you can get a rabone? I've found a few on ebay but they're all pretty beat up. I'm at a loss here, I love the feel of them and I'm just tired of the sharp hooks on the end of my fiberglass.

Used is it as far as I know.

Take off the hooks. You can pry it open with a screwdriver.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything

Sorry, Hitchhiker's Guide reference :)

Home Depot doesn't normally carry the PD 42....I ordered mine directly from Hilti. If you want to save money I was just tipped off to a suggestion. Another AC I know said he tried one where the AC just attached (carefully) and small round plastic tube to use a sight and said it worked great.

~Marque