Best Telecine machine for Super 8mm under $15k

Jonathan Rohs

Hi -

I am trying to get into the transfer of Super 8mm film, mostly for the learning experience and helping my family and friends preserve their memories onto DVD. I already have transferred VHS (yes, I understand it's very different, but at least that lets you know that I have the other end of equipment paid for). Now, I've done enough research to understand that it is cheaper to get this done by a professional... but, let's say I can't be talked out of the DIY telecine route...

What brand and model would anyone out there who has actually TRIED these brands ( and is not a salesman) recommend < $15k?

So far, I've encountered the MovieStuff, Tobin, and Elmo brands and I've scoured this forum to find nobody having a clear post about this...

Any thoughts?

I've seen what the MovieStuff guy has to say and I also know that I'd be happier with a Spirit brand, but these seem to run like $30k...

Any and all info would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jon

• Site Sponsor

"So far, I've encountered the MovieStuff, Tobin, and Elmo brands and I've scoured this forum to find nobody having a clear post about this..."

The Elmo is junk the Tobin and the Moviestuff will be similar and quite good in many respects I would pick whichever one seems best to you out of the two. Both are well made and perform similarly.

"I've seen what the MovieStuff guy has to say and I also know that I'd be happier with a Spirit brand, but these seem to run like $30k..."

A used Thompson Spirit SDC-2000 Data Cine (Spirit-1) can be had used with a color corrector for around $550,000.00 to about $750,000.00 expect to pay about $70,000.00 for a used Super-8 gate if you can find one. :huh:

-Rob-

"A used Thompson Spirit SDC-2000 Data Cine (Spirit-1) can be had used with a color corrector for around $550,000.00 to about $750,000.00 expect to pay about $70,000.00 for a used Super-8 gate if you can find one. :huh:"

Yikes, not sure where I got the $30k figure... I thought I saw it on some used site! Thanks for the info... I like the idea of the 3-ccd dv-8 sniper pro, but I've seen good results from Tobin's as well... it's always hard to tell though how much was done with other post-gear... All I have is FCP, is there any other software/hardware I should consider investing in?

Thanks,

Jon

• Premium Member
A used Thompson Spirit SDC-2000 Data Cine (Spirit-1) can be had used with a color corrector for around $550,000.00 to about $750,000.00

Wow, I can remember when they used to be expensive. Some of the early bays were north of 5 mil. The 16mm gate had new optics that made them the very best way to get sharp images from 16. Never before heard that there were Super-8 kits for the Spirit.

-- J.S.

• Site Sponsor
Wow, I can remember when they used to be expensive. Some of the early bays were north of 5 mil. The 16mm gate had new optics that made them the very best way to get sharp images from 16. Never before heard that there were Super-8 kits for the Spirit.

-- J.S.

Well the original Spirit-1 is getting old... Of course new Spirit-HD 2K and 4K are very expensive. And yes there are a few Super-8 gates floating around for the Spirit Technicolor has one in NY etc..

-Rob-

• 4 months later...
What brand and model would anyone out there who has actually TRIED these brands ( and is not a salesman) recommend < $15k?

So far, I've encountered the MovieStuff, Tobin, and Elmo brands and I've scoured this forum to find nobody having a clear post about this...

Any thoughts?

Moviestuff will also require equipment it does not come with. Same with Tobin, only Tobin outputs with no processing, whereas Moviestuff does not (you'll need CineCap software for post processing, very specific computer/software setup which you must follow EXACTLY). I have had a couple machines by Moviestuff, and I'm waiting on 2 from Tobin to test out. Shall I keep you updated on my findings?

Moviestuff will also require equipment it does not come with. Same with Tobin, only Tobin outputs with no processing, whereas Moviestuff does not (you'll need CineCap software for post processing, very specific computer/software setup which you must follow EXACTLY). I have had a couple machines by Moviestuff, and I'm waiting on 2 from Tobin to test out. Shall I keep you updated on my findings?

Yes, please do, please do, it's been very hard for me to find info on this stuff! Also, if you wouldn't mind filling me in on the specific computer/software setup you need with the Moviestuff...

Thanks,

Jon

Yes, please do, please do, it's been very hard for me to find info on this stuff! Also, if you wouldn't mind filling me in on the specific computer/software setup you need with the MovieStuff...

Thanks,

Jon

If you get a non-HD Sniper Pro to do film transfers

For the computer, you'll need :

Windows XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

I actually had to purchase an OEM SP2 disk since all of my systems came with SP3 CDs (~$100)

ONLY THESE UPDATES:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service pack 1

Windows Installer 3.1 (KB8993803)

Windows Service Pack 2

Do not under any circumstances connect this computer to the internet (just in case, right?) because any random changes can throw the whole thing off. We actually had a problem with Nero, also. I would ONLY install Windows, the DV codec, and CineCap. Anything else might become the source of frustration. In other words, dedicate one computer to do captures (and the post processing necessary via CineCap) and don't use it for anything else.

You'll need a minimum 512 megs of RAM, a P4 level Intel processor (or equivalent). We're actually using a 3.2 hyperthreading with 1 GB of RAM. Spend a little more to spare yourself the headache, since if you end up having some sort of deficiency in processing power, you'll have to buy another computer anyway. We bought ours from a Mom & Pop refurb redistributer for around $450. You'll also fire-wire input ($12) for a Canopus ADVC 110 (purchase separately, $220) analog to digital converter. An outside power source ($15) for said converter (to make sure power is regulated properly, also purchase separately). You'll also want to use the 4 pin out from the Canopus to the six pin in on your computer ($5). Using the 6 pin to 6 pin means drawing power from the PCI card in addition to the outlet, which means power fluctuations. Also, reset the Canopus daily by unplugging and plugging back in. You'll need the CineCap Velocity software (PC only, $150), editing software (for post, which is a must), and they recommend the newest DV AVI codec from a specific supplier (another $50).

I recommend getting a UPC with power conditioner to plug everything into, to make sure browning or spiking does not occur (another $200 for a decent quality unit, but I would recommend this for either machine set).

We also capture during the day, digitally process overnight. You'll need to do batch capture/process cycles to make the most of your time.

Edited by Bryan Clark

• 3 months later...