Zeiss old pre T* ?

How do the old arri standard mount 35mm format Zeiss lenses before the T* compare with Schneiders of the same period?

Is there a significant difference and if so what? Would these lenses intercut?

How do the pre T* compare with the T*?

• Premium Member

I cant answer your question about the Schneiders, but I have used the old Standard Zeiss lenses your talking about with the T* coatings and without.

The Lenses with the T* coating are mildly faster (T2.1 instead of T2.2), the difference in contrast is very slight, and the only other thing that is noticeable is a slight blue-ish color shift on the T* coating- but this is very slight.

I'm guessing that before the "T" , Zeiss lenses had good coatings but they had not branded them yet. For me, If I was using the older standards anyways, I wouldn't care id they were T* coated or not. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
I cant answer your question about the Schneiders, but I have used the old Standard Zeiss lenses your talking about with the T* coatings and without.

The Lenses with the T* coating are mildly faster (T2.1 instead of T2.2), the difference in contrast is very slight, and the only other thing that is noticeable is a slight blue-ish color shift on the T* coating- but this is very slight.

I'm guessing that before the "T" , Zeiss lenses had good coatings but they had not branded them yet. For me, If I was using the older standards anyways, I wouldn't care id they were T* coated or not. Hope that helps.

...and how do they compare optically to the current Zeiss...?

• Premium Member
...and how do they compare optically to the current Zeiss...?

Softer, Slower, cramped focus marks & the wider ones porthole wide open. Expect the prices to fall a very long way, 5 years ago you could not give a set away, $7,500 seemed like a lot of money, nobody wanted to rent them. Then along came RED and they were the best of the SubPrime lenses.