Kanye West "Welcome To Heartbreak"

Guest Matti Poutanen

Guest Matti Poutanen

The new Kanye West video seems to a slap to the face for everybody who dislike "digital" look and artifacts. It´s funny to look at, especially the first time when you constantly think something´s wrong with the file! Brings some memories of encodes gone wrong...

http://vimeo.com/3256023

Personally I think it´s wonderful and innovative, but I hope it doesn´t become a trend. It works in this one and first time, but I´m sure it would get annoying to see this kind of stuff constantly!

Edited by Matti Poutanen

The new Kanye West video seems to a slap to the face for everybody who dislike "digital" look and artifacts. It´s funny to look at, especially the first time when you constantly think something´s wrong with the file! Brings some memories of encodes gone wrong...

http://vimeo.com/3256023

Personally I think it´s wonderful and innovative, but I hope it doesn´t become a trend. It works in this one and first time, but I´m sure it would get annoying to see this kind of stuff constantly!

First time I saw that effect I thought the video was encoded badly. Then I realised that it was on purpose. Usually when something new is made everyone wants to do it. Ray Of Light special effect, apple's icon reflections, The Matrix bullet time and a lot more.

Hmmm.. it's kind of cool. But I can imagine a lot of people will be trying to reboot their PC or slapping the side of their TVs to "fix" what appears to be horrible digital decoding.

Hmmm.. it's kind of cool. But I can imagine a lot of people will be trying to reboot their PC or slapping the side of their TVs to "fix" what appears to be horrible digital decoding.

That makes it even more funny, like that guy on here with the dancing bug icon. . .

Ok, so the process you are seeing is called "Data moshing". The effect is created by replacing and rearranging "p" and "i" frames in the video data, thus creating strange arrangements of pixels and information. Mixed with greenscreen and moving camera shots, it actually looks like a very time intensive process. As far as I know the moshing programs automate the process and there isn't much on how the shot will look or how intense the effect will be, it is basically randomized.

Cool stuff at any rate!

• Premium Member

Besides the effects work this is also a statement how today's pictures are consumed. As in my experience most content is mainly seen on the web today. Over the net most of the television or movie stuff has an mpg4 compression no matter what resolution. So why are we talking about filmstocks, latitude, redcams etcetera when it all ends in h264 streams? It's a bit frustrating, don't you think?!?