credits for commercials?

Shaun Joye

Anyone know a good resource for finding who's responsible for commercials? For movies we have IMDB but I've seen a couple of great commercials recently and I'm really curious to find out what production company is responsible. The one that comes to mind right away is the Visa Go card commercial with the song "mambo italiano"... absolutely beautifully shot.

It's agreat commercial. There is a shot of an eye with a reflection in that is just impeccable. Big budget commercials are great. Every shot is complete without a lot of compromise. There are a few cool shot inside the pizza oven and the shots of the guy throwing dough are fun to watch. There was a magazine that followed commercials but I forget what it was.

• Premium Member

It's pretty hard. The ad agencies don't really provide credit to anyone but themselves, but there is some terrific work done at the high-end commercial level. I think Visa is currently with TBWA/Chiat/Day, but I'm not sure who might have done the cinematography.

I liked that shot of the reflection in the eye as well, although these days it could well have been done in post.

The other interesting thing is about that spot is that it features the captain of the US Pizza Team. Did you know that tossing pizza dough was a sport? Yeah, me either.

• Premium Member

I've had luck finding info like this by doing creative google searches. There are all kinds of weird forums out there that talk about stuff like this. I've found out which directors and DP's did particular spots this way.

I tried google... like I really tried google and no luck. One issue with the commercial is I actually had to find out through trial and error on google which credit card it was for. With the great cinematography, the performance and the music its really easy to miss the name of the card. I'm alright with that though, I'm not a big fan of capitalism.

Edited by Shaun Joye

• Premium Member
I tried google... like I really tried google and no luck. One issue with the commercial is I actually had to find out through trial and error on google which credit card it was for. With the great cinematography, the performance and the music its really easy to miss the name of the card. I'm alright with that though, I'm not a big fan of capitalism.

There must be several for the US as there are in the UK. www.davidreviews.com for one.....