pulling 30 fps to 25fps from CANON EOS 5D MARK II

amarogp

Hi,

I will be shooting with a CANON EOS 5D MARK II in a few weeks time. It isnt prepared to shoot properly, but it will be an academic short-movie and this camera is far better than any other video cameras from my school, even though is designed for still-photography.

It shoots 1080p at 30fps. I still do not get why CANON did not design it to shoot at 25fps, for Europe's PAL. Anyway, As I am in France, I would need to convert the 30fps to 25fps. Does anybody know what would be the best way of doing so without losing any qualities?

Thanks!

Hi,

I will be shooting with a CANON EOS 5D MARK II in a few weeks time. It isnt prepared to shoot properly, but it will be an academic short-movie and this camera is far better than any other video cameras from my school, even though is designed for still-photography.

It shoots 1080p at 30fps. I still do not get why CANON did not design it to shoot at 25fps, for Europe's PAL. Anyway, As I am in France, I would need to convert the 30fps to 25fps. Does anybody know what would be the best way of doing so without losing any qualities?

Thanks!

there has been some talk about this on this website, so do a search to find more definitive answers. In a nutshell, it is hard and doesn't produce the best results. It shoots 30p, if it were interlaced, it would be easy to convert, but no such luck.

Try using your footage as 25fps material.

In After Effects parlor - interpreting the footage as 25fps,

and using it in 25fps project.

Yes, it will run slower, but you will keep the smoothness.

No judder from ( bad ) 30->25.

If you can live with slowed down a bit action,

and audio pitched down or timestretched,

go for it.

===

I also don't like the fact that the movie mode

of almost all digital still cameras is 15/30fps.

No regards for us in PAL land.

I am considering when using a 30fps digicam

( DSLR or compact ) for music video,

to properly speed up the audio playback,

shoot 30fps and then using it as 25fps.

It will fit perfectly in the proper original song tempo.

Regards

Igor

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Panasonic GH1 shoots 24fps.

But if converting Canon 30fps to 25fps is what you want, doing the interpret footage thing in AE or conform in Cinematools is the way to go if speed - and dialogue sync - aren't an issue.

Another possible workaround would be to use Compressor to convert to 24fps which comes out quite clean. Then CinemaTools to conform to 25fps. This will speed up thepicture (and sound) by 4% but that is not noticeable and most TV in PAL land do this to show 24fps film as 25fps video.

Neil B Sadwelkar

• 1 year later...

Although my post is too late, I hope it could be helpful to you.

It's easy to do so and what you need is a eos mod converter to help you convert h.264 mov shot by your canon eos 5d mark II to quicktime mov with 25fps for further editing or playing.

I am glad to share this program with you: Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac. It supports converting among many kinds of videos inluding AVI, MOV, MPEG, MP4, WMV, FLV, MKV, etc. even H.264 encoded Mov shot by canon eos cameras. Moreover, it supports down converting 1080p/1080i videos with 60fps or 30fps to 1080p or 720p with 30fps or 25fps.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose Brorsoft Mac Canon MOD Converter is as it's easy-to-use and offers a free trial before buy. Moreover, it applies unique audio and video sync technology which can guarantee the audio and video match.

So I think it's worth to try and you can free download it.

For more information please refer to: http://www.brorsoft.com/mts-converter-mac/index.html

Although my post is too late, I hope it could be helpful to you.

It's easy to do so and what you need is a eos mod converter to help you convert h.264 mov shot by your canon eos 5d mark II to quicktime mov with 25fps for further editing or playing.

I am glad to share this program with you: Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac. It supports converting among many kinds of videos inluding AVI, MOV, MPEG, MP4, WMV, FLV, MKV, etc. even H.264 encoded Mov shot by canon eos cameras. Moreover, it supports down converting 1080p/1080i videos with 60fps or 30fps to 1080p or 720p with 30fps or 25fps.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose Brorsoft Mac Canon MOD Converter is as it's easy-to-use and offers a free trial before buy. Moreover, it applies unique audio and video sync technology which can guarantee the audio and video match.

So I think it's worth to try and you can free download it.

For more information please refer to: http://www.brorsoft.com/mts-converter-mac/index.html

Sorry for wrong spell:"Brorsoft Mac Canon MOD Converter", it should be:"Brorsoft Mac Canon MOV Converter" instead of "Brorsoft Mac Canon MOD Converter"