K3 camera viewfinder

Matt Silva

Hey,

I just bought a K3 on ebay, and I'm having a problem. When I look into the viewfinder I see what seems to be either a dirty or burnt portion of it mostly in the bottom left hand corner. I tried taking out the lens and cleaning the ground glass and shutter, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it the viewfinder or something else? If it doesn't get put to film then I guess it isn't a huge problem, but its just a pain in the ass to see the image distorted.

Thanks,

matt

Guest dpforum1968

Was it a new K3?

Did you use a q-tip and gently clean into the corners of the ground glass?

If you can live with it it won't blur the film as the K3 uses a butterfly shutter.

It might be a problem focusing in low light if it goes too far into the viewing area.

If it won't or can't be cleared up, you'll just have to live with it.

I've done some amazing shots with the K3, with a bit of practice you can do a lot with that little camera.

DC

I did clean the ground glass (the thing above the shutter correct?) with a q-tip slightly moistened in alcohol. Then i tried a dry one. It didn't help. I've read that you can take the front end of the k3 completely off. I wonder if this would help me clean it better. Also, if the problem was the ground glass can you replace it? The stain (it almost looks like a burn) is making it difficult to really see what I'm trying to shoot correctly. I would just live with it, but if I can send it back for another one I'd rather do that.

thanks,

matt

Guest dpforum1968

If it came over from Russia don't expect a replacement.

Yes sounds like you are cleaning the right thing.

Removing the entire front of the K3 is tricky. You have to unseal the thin metal face plate on the front to get access to the screws, and it can be a real pain.

Taking off the front won't give you any better access to cleaning the ground glass than you have already.

Now here's some thing for you, a group of guys called Reel Trading deal in K3 and they have a really good tech who can fix any thing on them for not too much money. They are located in New York and I have met them personally and can vouch that they are a quality group of guys. This is their web-site...

Reel Trading Web-Site

E-mail them or give them a call, they will help you. Forget about dealing with any Russians, they have your money and that's that now.

DC

If you take the front off you will have access to the right-angle prism that throws the image back to the eye-piece. Its surface can get dust on it easily. That is probably what you are seeing.

It's a bit tricky to remove the front cover. You have to take a thin blade and pry up the thin metal cover on the front of the camera. It's the trim piece with the logo. Don't bend it, once you get it off you will see several recessed screw holes. Remove those screws and the front cover casting will come off exposing the shutter, the ground glass holder and the prism. After you screw the cover back on it's a good mod to drill holes in the thin trim plate so you don't have to remove it to service the camera. After you drill the holes just glue the trim plate down permanently.

Also if you lokk under the film transport and light baffle in the magazine of the camera, there is a slot in the viewfinder tube where the light meter needle goes in. You might have fuzz or dirt in there. That is also a good place to insert a 16x9 mask but you have to be good at making a tricky little small one.

If you're not confident you can reassemble the camera, don't take it apart.