I want to see some reels, please?

Brandon Adams

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Sean McVeigh
No reel online yet, but you can see a short film:

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=422138&htv=12

Hah, wow Michael.. that guy who gave it a 2/5 in the review sure sounded like a putz. At least he praised the cinematography :)

I liked the cross-dissolving dolly shots in the montage where the 2 actors were seated.

Guest Tim van der Linden

while we're on the subject, what's the general practice involving music in reels? Is one obligated to own some sort of rights to the music or can we pretty much use whatever we like. I suppose it's debatable whether we're using this for profit, but I suppose ultimately it is an advertisement for ourselves so I suppose we do need some sort of exhibition rights. So, if that is the case, what kind of approach do most of you generally take regarding finding and getting the rights to the music you use?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Why are you worried about whether it's for profit or not? The copyright laws aren't. The moment you copy the track off the CD you're technically in breach, no matter whether it's for personal use, profit, distribution, whatever.

Phil

Guest Tim van der Linden
Hi,

Why are you worried about whether it's for profit or not? The copyright laws aren't. The moment you copy the track off the CD you're technically in breach, no matter whether it's for personal use, profit, distribution, whatever.

Phil

Makes sense. I've never really had to deal terribly much with this kind of stuff before, so how do you go about putting music on the reel? Do you have it composed or do some of you just throw lisence out the window and just put whatever you like on there?

Thanks, phil.

Guest Frank Gossimier

Ever hear of royalty free music? It is your safest bet, and cheap.

www.smartsound.com

www.freshmusic.com

And no I don't work for either.

Frank

Guest Tim van der Linden

Thanks, Frank, I have heard of royalty free music, I was just checking to see what my options are. I'm in the process of finally assembling my first reel now that I have something to put on it. I'll be sure to post it once I get a chance, right now I'm temping it to Michael Jackson's Thriller but since I don't want to pay a couple hundred grand for it I'll have to find something else. But perhaps I'll post my temporary reel once it's all assembled, just for kicks. I could use some feedback, anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...