Music Video - RED

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, very clean. I really like the grading on the bus stuff. The textures (the frosted windows, furry hats, etc.) on that part are cool as well. I also like the movement in the lighting. The stuff with the guitarist at the campfire is nice, but I felt like the other people were underlit. Those shots lacked the cleanness of the earlier shots.

Overall, good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job. Great colours, great composition, the editing can be a tad smoother but that's only if you're really looking for something to criticize on. And how awesome is the RED cam? If I didn't know better, that vid looked like it was shot on 35mm film.

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It mostly looks great, nice work! Great composition, shot selection, movement, art direction, grading. I agree the campfire scene is underlit - it would have worked better if you were able to backlight or cross light the trees in the background for more depth instead of the white snow in the midground, which already being white doesn't need that much light. Also, it would have been nice to augment the fire from underneath with some small tungsten units. Or just move the actors closer to the fire. But basically, the background needs to be brought up first, then the foreground to match. I guess you really needed Superspeeds on this one. :)

Maybe the best thing would have been to use the HMI for a low hard backlight directly toward camera thru the trees and use a large bounce source high and as close as possible to key the singer in the foreground, with the warm firelit folks in the midground. It wouldn't necessarily be realistic but it might look nice.

• 2 months later...

Love how poetic it is visually and how low key everything feels. Night exterior was little noisy but hey... loved it. For the content and given the was RED job, I felt too sharp... maybe using BFX or PM too smoothen overall look? I know if you were to shoot this on on 35 you must have chosen S4s instead of Master Primes.

Anyway, really appreciate cinematographers helping materials to be felt not to be looked and flashy(though certain videos kind of have to be that way, like nobody wants to see Britney Spears "organically").

Thank you for a good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

this is great work. technically speaking, I can see some 'blocks' in the blacks during the night sequence. did it show up when you compressed for internet? what codec did u use? because the rest of the material looks amazing.

how did you rate the camera for the night sequence and how was postproduction done?

thanks a lot and congratulations