LA service center for Scoopic?

Tim Brown

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with any shops in LA that have hands-on experience with evaluating and repairing Scoopics? I'm trying to line up a purchase and would like a reputable outfit to look it over prior to my pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Thanks,

Tim:

Check out http://scoopicguy.com/

I think John Longnecker is a good resource in SoCal.

A few things I noticed on my Scoopic (I just bought). My auto-aperature servo started whining after about 45 minutes of use. Then, it simply stopped. Not sure if this was a common problem, but the motor may be something to listen to. Could just be this thing hasn't been loved in so long...

Also, take a look at the spools (the reels) as they spin inside. Bernie noticed one of mine is just barely bent. I have NO idea how this could have GOTTEN bent, so my guess is that they this axel for my spool could have been manufactured like this. Watch for wobble as they spin. The only issue this causes in my case is a very slight (and only occasional) rhythmic squeak of the film being taken up. It's not a deal breaker, but something to look for. I never would have looked.

Other than that, scoopics are tanks. I think at least John or whoever is able to help will have batteries to test (also very important).

Consider having bernie at super16inc.com modify it to Ultra16. I've just gotten mine back.

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your response and for giving me some guidance on what to look for.

Indeed, it was my intent to invest in a U16 modification with Bernie (BTW, All the things people say about Bernie O'Doherty being the "bees knees" are true!). Unfortunately I ended up purchasing a Canon "Poopic" instead as Bernie informed me that the camera I purchased wasn't worth the repair costs to get it running again. It wasn't working when I received it and it had numerous issues. Hopefully I will be able to find someone to give me an assessment prior to my next purchase, we'll see. Scoopics are built like tanks yes, but with older equipment you always run a risk of having some sort of issue. I guess the key is finding a way to limit those issues as much as possible.

With a U16 conversion it kinda makes the Scoopic a really, really, poor man's A-Minima. Hopefully none of the Aaton folks will take offense at me for comparing a Scoopic to an A-Minima! :P

With a U16 conversion it kinda makes the Scoopic a really, really, poor man's A-Minima. Hopefully none of the Aaton folks will take offense at me for comparing a Scoopic to an A-Minima! :P

If your budget allows, I would look at an Eclair ACL instead _the true precursor of the A-Min. They pop up on fleaBay quite regularly. They are affordable, a lot quieter than a Scoopic, can be easily modified to U16 / S16 by Bernie et al, run xtal sync at 24 / 25 fps, some motors are multi-speed (with the right motor speeds will be 8-12-18-24-30-48-75 fps), have instant load mags, allow for a wide variety of lenses to be used with, etc, etc.

If you look at the Eclair section of the 16mm sub forum on this website, you will find a bevy of info on these wonderful little cams.

Bummer about the poopic. Someone must have really treated it rough.

What Saul says is true. You could try and find an ACL. There are some advantages. Not as ergonomic or "hand-held" though!

I'll say as a run and gun camera I'm diggin' my scoopic, and I think with a good super-cardioid mic (sennheiser 416) and some finessing in protools or soundtrack, you can do totally get soundsync. I'm doing some tests right now. I've got a guy that does barney's that look great too. Haven't bought one yet, but looks like it'd shed many dbs.

Good luck!