Elmo 1012 SXL Just Arrived - Recs/Questions

Chris Fernando

So I just recieved an Elmo 1012 SXL I purchased after reading some of the testomonials on this and a couple of other sites about the optics, rugedness and price to quality ratio.

As it is there are a couple of concerns; the most pressing being a clicking/moving metal sound I can hear inside the camera whenever I tunr it over, usually to store it in the case. Is this normal? Is this some type of sensor, maybe the film load indicator sensor? Anyone else hear/experience this?

Second issue is one I might have to live with (i.e. an ebay attribute) as the seller never disclosed that the "Fade" button has been pushed in and doesn't seem to want to come out/sit properly. Everything else works as it should and I'm thinking this is just a feature I'm going to have to live without. Any thoughts?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good CLA outfit in the Los Angeles/Orange county area? I'm thinking it's probably Spectra or Pro 8mm but any thoughts/other recommendations would be much appreciated. Also if anyones had it done lately, what does a good CLA run for one of these cameras?

As always, thanks in advance.

So I just recieved an Elmo 1012 SXL I purchased after reading some of the testomonials on this and a couple of other sites about the optics, rugedness and price to quality ratio.

As it is there are a couple of concerns; the most pressing being a clicking/moving metal sound I can hear inside the camera whenever I tunr it over, usually to store it in the case. Is this normal? Is this some type of sensor, maybe the film load indicator sensor? Anyone else hear/experience this?

Second issue is one I might have to live with (i.e. an ebay attribute) as the seller never disclosed that the "Fade" button has been pushed in and doesn't seem to want to come out/sit properly. Everything else works as it should and I'm thinking this is just a feature I'm going to have to live without. Any thoughts?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good CLA outfit in the Los Angeles/Orange county area? I'm thinking it's probably Spectra or Pro 8mm but any thoughts/other recommendations would be much appreciated. Also if anyones had it done lately, what does a good CLA run for one of these cameras?

As always, thanks in advance.

has the indoor/outdoor filter selector come loose? - this is a real weak point of these cameras ...

try fiddling with the fade button - I had a camera with the same issue - I just kept fiddling with it and it came free - you could also unscrew the metal plate on that side of the camera and see if the 'lip' of the fade button is trapped under the edge of the whole for it in the metal plate.

Thanks, Jamie. The filter switch seems to be working properly but I have heard that is a problem with these cameras. I'm going to have some tests processed and if it's functioning properly I may just have to live with it till I get a CLA for the camera.

As far as the "Fade" button goes; I tried removing the plate on the left side, but it seems like the button has no "give", it doesn't respond like the "EE" (Exposure Lock) button. I'm thinking there's some type of gasket or O-Ring type that's come loose that was part of the "Fade" button assembly. That may even be what's floating around inside.

Thanks again.

Anyone have any idea what a typical CLA goes for for a Super 8 camera these days?