Sony Z1 Sound Recording

Hi all

I'm in need of some advice as to the best way to record dialogue on the Sony Z1 as there seems to be a range of menu options for this. If you're interviewing one person, should you record to Channel 1, Channel 2, or Channel 1+2 ? Any help would be gratefully appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this.

Hi all

I'm in need of some advice as to the best way to record dialogue on the Sony Z1 as there seems to be a range of menu options for this. If you're interviewing one person, should you record to Channel 1, Channel 2, or Channel 1+2 ? Any help would be gratefully appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this.

I've gone with a lapel mic into one channel and a standard rifle mic into the second channel before and it generally works ok (by my standards, which perhaps aren't as refined as a a sounds guys').

If I had a choice I'd go through a mixer like an SQN and set the attenuator to the lower setting just in case the interviewee decides to yelp or whatnot. Using the status check button the back of the Z1 and a set of headphones will let you set your levels. If memory serves the "Channel 1, Channel 2" option gives you more freedom in the edit.

- Colum.

Edited by Colum O Dwyer