Great Expectorations

• Premium Member

I just finished watching "White." Great film, but there is a scene where Zbigniew Zamachowski is about to throw up into the toilet, and I know it's not going to be convincing. Because in films, puking almost never looks very authentic.

Why is this so hard to do? I would think you just put a bunch of nasty looking stuff in the actor's mouth, and have him or her gutturally convulse and then start to spew. It's the one thing we've all done, so we know what it is really like, yet films almost universally seem to make little effort to have their actors convincingly barf, LOL.

Maybe I'm the only one actually finds this takes them out of the film for a few moments? :unsure:

If I had to guess as to why it's not 'realistic' most of the time I'd say it's because holding something in your mouth and then spitting or letting it fall out just doesn't look the same as having something forcefully projected from your throat. That's my guess.

I just shot something recently where a character had to throw up, and I think we pulled it off, but it was a tracking shot in which you saw the, um, 'result' hit the ground before we tracked back to reveal him throwing up - the fact that you didn't see the initial 'spewing' I think masked the difference and helped sell it.

I've seen actors do incredibly convincing barfing scenes. The problem is, when they do, the audience gets sick as well. (It's the natural physiological reaction.) In most situations actors, directors, and producers will err -- consciously or unconsciously -- on the side of not making the audience puke. After all, that's the job of the hand-held camera. :)

• Premium Member
After all, that's the job of the hand-held camera. :)

Hear hear! :lol:

Actors can often do it convincingly, or some people are serious enough about it to really vomit. I was lucky enough to be on set for a scene where the actor drank a quart of a concoction he made himself that was composed of water, ketchup, mustard, and bits of torn up bread and actually vomited it up. Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
If I never work again on a film where an actor is required to vomit on camera (real or fake), I will only be too happy...

Be an optimist: Vomiting on camera is better than vomiting on the camera.

• Premium Member
Suddenly I have the title "Frat Boy Film School" running through my head...

Careful with that gem. You never know who's trolling the interwebz stealing script ideas. :ph34r:

Careful with that gem. You never know who's trolling the interwebz stealing script ideas. :ph34r:

Please, steal away. It's not the sort of movie I'd ever make. But I'd love to come to the premiere! :lol:

For better or for worse, sound can alter the way the audience hears barfing in a lot of different ways. Have done sound design work where the director didn't think the barfing scene as shot was "sickening enough", there's a lot you can do.

And might I suggest don't eat directly before playing with such sound design "opportunities".