Canon XM1 Horizontal blur/aliasing

Hi all

I'm having a recurring problem shooting with my canon XM1. Having manually focussed the camera in the usual way ie: zoom in and manually focus, then zoom out, I am finding that whilst vertical lines in the frame are sharp, horizontal lines eg: window frames appear to be 'soft '. I have also found that having imported the footage into iMovie this also affects people, thus rendering them 'soft' as well. I know I'm doing everything as it should be and haven't encountered this problem on any other camera to this extent. Is it something to do with the way the camera scans the frames ?

Any input on this would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

As this camera is SD and by spec this is a 50i camera, captured material is interlaced. most of software deinterlace by removing one of the feald's and genereating the middle one. So you lose actually half of the resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

if you see artifacts if interlacing (on fast motion) then there is no deinterlacing happening, gut if you see none then footage is deinterlaced

solution is proper deinteleacing, but i don't know how to do that on mac. on pc I use virtualdub + smart deinterlace

if this is not your case, see if this artifact changes when you close iris (should go less, if this is an optics issue / feature).