The Dogfather

Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread on my next feature film project, "The Dogfather." We just completed our first week of full pre-production. I am directing and editing this film.

This is my second outing as a feature director, except this time I have a substantial budget and a crew of about 50 people!!

My DOP is ASC member Denis Maloney:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006780/

Denis is not a member here I don't think, but I will encourage him to share his thoughts as we make our way through the production. Denis is a master DOP and I know this film will look just beautiful. We are shooting 35mm (of course) two Arri 535s, and one Arri 435 which I will use for slo-mo and some second unit work.

Our lead actor is Chris Parnell from SNL. Chris is a hilarious and talented actor and I can't wait to work with him on set, I know he will be bringing a lot to this movie.

What is The Dogfather all about? This movie is about a British bulldog named Sonny who is owned by a mafia don. One day Sonny swallows the don's family ring and then runs away. The don sends two of his best men to track down Sonny and retrieve the ring. Mean while Sonny gets himself adopted to a family in a small town and turns the dad's (Chris Parnell) life up-side-down. The family has no idea who Sonny's real owner is, nor do they know that the mafia is trying to find Sonny. Any way it's a funny family G-rated comedy, written by Russell Scalise and Michael H Wright.

I believe this is the first time a bulldog has been used in the lead role of a "dog film." Our head trainer is Bonnie Judd, a legend in the world of dog trainers :D

Essentially we have established sort of a dream team of artists and technicians for this film, so I have high expectations for a positive result.

I just finished two full days of casting in Toronto. I am pleased to report that we have a huge talent pool here to choose from, so many talented actors came in.

The major thing I did not anticipate directing a movie this big is the incredible work load on the director, I really under estimated that. I get an e-mail every 10 seconds and a phone call every minute. There are endless questions from dept heads to answer and a million details for me to over see. It will only intensify as we get closer to full production. Wow! It's a lot of work, 16-18 hour days are normal for me right now.

At least this time I have a UPM for crewing and a 1st AD for scheduling etc.

So the hours are long, but it's fun. We are all here because we love the industry.

More to come........

R,

• Premium Member

Congratulation Richard. I feel like I've read these words from you so many times: "Bring the movies up to Canada" (that's loosely paraphrased of course). And here you go. You got a big 'ol movie in your back yard. Great news. Good luck and have fun.

f

I ran into Denis at CineGear and he mentioned he was shooting this. He's a great DP so you're in good hands.

Good luck!

Yes I hear nothing but positive notes about Denis.

Congratulation Richard. I feel like I've read these words from you so many times: "Bring the movies up to Canada" (that's loosely paraphrased of course). And here you go. You got a big 'ol movie in your back yard. Great news. Good luck and have fun.

f

Thanks Frank. I am "trying" to have "fun" but it's hard many days. I think it'll be better once we start shooting.

R,

It's a BITCH to be successful, ain't it buddy?? :D Don't worry, you'll get use to it. Try and develop a zen. (I personally use beer :rolleyes: ) I'm really glad for ya!! Hey post some behind the scenes if you can. I'd LOVE to see you and your crew in action!! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

It's a BITCH to be successful, ain't it buddy?? :D Don't worry, you'll get use to it. Try and develop a zen. (I personally use beer :rolleyes: ) I'm really glad for ya!! Hey post some behind the scenes if you can. I'd LOVE to see you and your crew in action!! B)

There's too many of them, we don't have a lens wide enough to fit them all in. :D

But yes I will have pics to post, it's practically the law here after all B)

R,

• 2 weeks later...

Good on ya Richard. First movie gets distribution and makes money, now it seems you get a bigger budget and a talented DOP. Looks like you got it made in the shade. Hopefully the dog scenes go well, I learned a very stressful lesson a few months back why they say never work with children, hopefully the dog won't reinforce the latter part of that saying. Your not producing this as well are you? Sounds like your dance card is full.

And yes BTS pics would be awesome.

Your not producing this as well are you? Sounds like your dance card is full.

And yes BTS pics would be awesome.

Yes, I am also the producer. And the editor as well.

To date I have signed over 300 pieces of "paper" and there is a lot more to sign I am told.

Our dogs are INCREDIBLE! I predict audiences will be amazed by what they are about to see. I could be dead wrong, but it looks real GOOD in rehearsal. Chris Parnell and the rest of our cast are just terrific.

We start shooting Monday. I am home for an overnight then back to set I go.

This is going to be a tough & demanding shoot. I am going to try and get Denis Maloney to post on here. Heck if he won't....I'll just order him to! :lol:

What's freaking me out now are the giant white trucks massing in the parking lot of the production office, looks like we are going to war.

R,

I don't think you'd last too long in combat with white trucks....

Hope you packed a few Bazookas! ;)

Don't forget this is the frozen wastes of canada, so they are preparing for snow battle up north! :)

love

Freya

Less than 24 hours to go now.

I have a 360 steady cam shot, 85 foot dolly, crane shot, and 150 fps shots, all on the first day. Yeee Haaaww!

Oh well "they" tell me this is all normal for crew on bigger shows, we might as well dive right in!

Denis Maloney is fine with it all, and he should know :lol:

R,

I have some great pics now as day two just wrapped. We are all thrilled with what we are getting.

The problem is that all my production stills look like all the other production stills we see from any movie. A 535 is 535, etc.

Once I have the camera cable I will post some unique shots that involve one of our bulldogs.

Denis is lighting the film so that it looks like a 50 million dollar movie.

R,

Looking at dailies now, mmmmm, so incredibly beautiful. Denis has done a terrific job.

Stills coming.

R,