Panasonic HPX301 or 500 with Canon HJ14 lens

Ken OSullivan

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Panasonic HPX301 or 500 P2 camera with Canon HJ14 and / or HJ22 lenses. I'm shooting wildlife and have decided to invest in good lenses as I figure they'll stand up better over the years, of course there's no point have a great lens with a poor camcorder but the 301 and 500 but look pretty good 'mid-range' cameras.

I know the HPX301 has a 1/3" sensor but more substantially pixels than the 500, I guess due to advancements with CMOS technology. Canon will have an convertor shortly (1/3" to 2/3") to mount their lenses, JVC have one already (minus the electrical connectors), Canon say they have used these combinations and have not seen any picture issues on the HPX301 though there is probably small vignetting at the high end of the telephoto.

Wondering if anyone has tried these combinations or had an opinion..

Many thanks in advance

Ken

Hi Ken,

I can't answer your questions here but I've been looking into the 301 in the last few weeks with a mind to buying one.

I think the 301 is a big technological step forward from the 500. The 301 is a proper full raster HD camera. Whereas I understand the 500 despite being 2/3" wasn't. The only, and serious, issue with the 301 is rolling shutter problems. I was shocked how bad it was and really surprised Panasonic released it that way. I understand the new firmware fixes it but I need to see it with my own eyes before buying it. That aside I've used it a few times and I'm very impressed for the money. Nice and light too with Variable Frame Rate. I imagine good for wildlife.

I know that converters are already available if you want to use the HJ lenses (MIT Corp London). I was thinking the same thing. But due to the chip size a wide angle HJ11 would seem the best choice to maintain a wide angle view.

This is a bottom end proper camera and so putting a pricey HJ lens on, which I don't have, seems out of balance in terms of money. That is unless you own one. I'd like to know what optics exist for less than £5k that would be an improvement over the stock lens. A new 1/3 HD spec or an older second hand SD lens. Any thoughts on that would be good to hear.

I'm planning to do some tests. I'd like to see what a top notch lens can do on a tiny 1/3" at full HD.

Best

Peter

• 1 year later...

Hii Peter and ken

my studio have 2 cam , the first is 502 HPX and the others is HPX 302 (the latest)

I still canot see the exact difference (AVC I / Intra)

but one thing , HPX 302 can handle more low light better , but so "Video ", but i have problem some of picture quiet shaking / stuttering (HPX 302)

at he same seeting on 50s

for my opinion ,I decided to keep the 502 HPX and sell the 302 cause of size of the 3 CCD sensor.