35mm to HD for edit to DVD

zrszach

I want to know if I could shoot 35mm film scan it to HD and use an AJ-HD1200A deck to send it to my computer for editing.

Will this work?

What kind of quality will I end up with on the DVD?

What are the downsides of this process?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Will this work?

Potentially.

> What kind of quality will I end up with on the DVD?

Pretty good, assuming your original material was well-shot.

> What are the downsides of this process?

If you're talking about DVCPRO-HD, then that's one of the more compressed and lower-resolution HD formats you could choose. The deck will be expensive. You'll probably have to use a Mac. Other than that, knock yourself out!

Phil

• Premium Member

Is your DVD standard def? It's just that a very good standard def DVD would be around 6Mbits per second and your original HD telecine transfer would be somewhere around 1400Mbits per second (at 30FPS), so the biggest compression is actually cramming it on to the DVD. As long as you have good digital transfers throughout, I don't think any other compression (to tapes etc) are likely to have such a big influence. As always, what it looks like in the end depends on your skill in post production :-) How's your grading?

I think your workflow seems okay though...

knock yourself out!

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you're financially in a position to perform the workflow you described, I don't think you have much reason to want to go better! Do a supervised transfer to the DVCPRO-HD and I'm sure you'll be very happy. Definitely upper-echelon stuff.

Phil

I want to know if I could shoot 35mm film scan it to HD and use an AJ-HD1200A deck to send it to my computer for editing.

Will this work?

What kind of quality will I end up with on the DVD?

What are the downsides of this process?

The only questioon I would have is how does the compressed HD compressed to MPEG-2 (the DVD format) compare to uncompressed SD compressed to MPEG-2. My guess is that differences, if any, would be trivial. But with all the juice you're putting into this it might be worth a look.

We just did S16 --> uncompressed SD --> DVD and it looked mighty fine. Don't forget to make your DVD anamophic!

-D

Guest Sean McVeigh
The only questioon I would have is how does the compressed HD compressed to MPEG-2 (the DVD format) compare to uncompressed SD compressed to MPEG-2. My guess is that differences, if any, would be trivial. But with all the juice you're putting into this it might be worth a look.

I would ask the same question myself.. however...

I just finished a music video, and I had suggested scanning to HD, but the producer decided to take the film through a SD telecine instead. Only after it was transferred and up on the editing screen did he mention that he'd like to be able to crop some people out of the frame.

This sort of thing in my mind is a good argument for oversampling your transfers. If for some reason you feel you need to crop and blow up a frame, doing so in standard def is truly horrifying! Cropping something from a 1920x1080 frame to fit 720x480 is a breeze as long as the resampling is done well.

Thankfully in my case, since it was a music video, things looking blurry occasionally for a split second is acceptable and can just be passed off as one of those "out of focus" cut shots :P

-Sean