Grifflyon for getting bounce over a large area

DavidSloan

• Premium Member

A lot depends on the type of light you want from the bounce.

Griff is a very standard bounce material. It is soft, and if you stretch it very tight in the frame can be semi punchy.

That said, I sometimes don?t like the look of griff, as it is after all a big bounce board (essentially). When the look I am going for permits, I use silver or gold, or checkerboard Lame'.

It is really source-y, and with a 12x12 frame of it, you just can feel it working. I really like how it looks for some things.

It can be tricky to dial in the Griff, and a trick I learned from a real good key grip I sometimes work with is to use a small mirror in the center (or as close to) of the frame to focus it.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
I've never used checkerboard lame, is that softer?  I would imagine sunlight off a grif onto an actors face looks terrible...just like a silver bouceboard does.

A griflon is softer than lame since lame is shiny and griflon is semi-gloss. That's why I tend to go in the opposite direction; I prefer UltraBounce, which is more matte than griflon (same with stretched muslin). I'd use lame if I had to throw the light farther or wanted to create more of a "key" from it. The biggest advantage to griflon is that it is durable, cleanable.

• Premium Member
I've never used checkerboard lame, is that softer?  I would imagine sunlight off a grif onto an actors face looks terrible...just like a silver bouceboard does.

No, the checkerboard is half gold, half silver patches. It is warmer that strait silver. I really like the look on black skin with a lot of blue in it. It helps counter that in daylight.

Once again, it just depends on what you?re doing. I should have noted that Lame' is a harder source than griff, and not musically used as fill (although I do sometimes use it that way).

I like Ultrabounce as well, I nearly forgot about it though (haven?t used it in a long time).

Kevin Zanit