Flicker Gag

• Premium Member
i was wondering if there was anything cheap one could buy or make

...or rent? No one says you have to purchase the item just to use it.

If you want cheap, you get a person to operate each light: either twiddling a simple dimmer or manually waving a small flag or even hands in front of light. Some of my best fire/TV gags have been done by hand.

...or rent? No one says you have to purchase the item just to use it.

If you want cheap, you get a person to operate each light: either twiddling a simple dimmer or manually waving a small flag or even hands in front of light. Some of my best fire/TV gags have been done by hand.

Exactly what I was thinking. Adding to this theme - you could do 3 individually dimmed lights with three different cuts of CTO (perhaps 1/8, 1/2, full) dimmed in some sort of offset. Timed right with attentive operators, you could probably get a pretty convincing look.

Exactly what I was thinking. Adding to this theme - you could do 3 individually dimmed lights with three different cuts of CTO (perhaps 1/8, 1/2, full) dimmed in some sort of offset. Timed right with attentive operators, you could probably get a pretty convincing look.

sounds good guys, will do some tests

the dp specifically said he didnt want to use dimmers and flags because they were convinced that it would look cheesy, but i mean, if it works, it works.

thanks again

the dp specifically said he didnt want to use dimmers and flags because they were convinced that it would look cheesy

Does he mean what it takes would look cheesy, or how it looks on camera? I could see him feeling like this method is "not pro", but ultimately it's the finished product that's the important thing, not how one's ego may be bruised.

2 cents,

-j

Does he mean what it takes would look cheesy, or how it looks on camera? I could see him feeling like this method is "not pro", but ultimately it's the finished product that's the important thing, not how one's ego may be bruised.

2 cents,

-j

i think what they did in the past looked bad

but, obviously we'll rehearse and wont make it look cheesy and such

in the end, what ever looks good..

thanks man

i think what they did in the past looked bad

but, obviously we'll rehearse and wont make it look cheesy and such

in the end, what ever looks good..

thanks man

There is a cheap way, it can be frustrating to do. Take a pair of squeezers ( in line dimmers) the cheaper the better and plug them in line with one another. adjust the two and voila. You can "find" a sweet spot. It burns up the dimmers in the long run, so use cheap.

• Premium Member
There is a cheap way, it can be frustrating to do. Take a pair of squeezers ( in line dimmers) the cheaper the better and plug them in line with one another. adjust the two and voila. You can "find" a sweet spot. It burns up the dimmers in the long run, so use cheap.

If you do this, I find you need one step (1k instead of a 650W, for example) larger light then you think, because the flicker only ever reaches about 60% output.

you may want to try this method - used it on a number of features I've worked on: 650 or 1k on a beaver board with 1/2 or 3/4 cto bounced into a bouncing (grip doing the gag) pop-up green screen but shiny side (silver side), or show card. works from wide to ECU.

Edited by giap vu