Widescreen butchery and heresy

Greetings all,

I was perusing the widescreen museum and saw this

and couldn't believe my eyes. Now some a-hole decides that

Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur suffer from poor compositions and need re-framing.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm

This supposed technology "fixes" the poor compositions

And it's all explained in an arrogant know it all manner.

Who the hell is behind this???

It's a growing trend-armchair hack film reviewers, curators and 'scholars'

who have never shot a frame and now they know better than David Lean and Freddie Young.

Unbelievable!!

Milo Sekulovich

Greetings all,

I was perusing the widescreen museum and saw this

and couldn't believe my eyes. Now some a-hole decides that

Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur suffer from poor compositions and need re-framing.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm

This supposed technology "fixes" the poor compositions

And it's all explained in an arrogant know it all manner.

Who the hell is behind this???

It's a growing trend-armchair hack film reviewers, curators and 'scholars'

who have never shot a frame and now they know better than David Lean and Freddie Young.

Unbelievable!!

Milo Sekulovich

The site must be a joke. Gene Siskel provides a review of the "new technology" and I can't find anything on the proper museum site or any other information on this technology using a google search of flik fx.

That and the "fix" is always a cluttered mess. I was laughing rather than feeling outraged. If I'm wrong and this turns out to be serious, then I'll be outraged.

Well, of course I had my doubts as I've never even heard of this ludicrous technology and the fact that

Gene Siskel passed away some time ago. But ridiculous things are being announced all the time, like shooting

major features with still cameras.....

Quite an elaborate "joke" to write and post on one's website. Some people just

have too much time on their hands...

But seriously, I've heard similar criticisms of major motion pictures regarding

framing, acting and so forth by layman film reviewers, 'scholars' and so forth.

Like Coppola said 'Everyone on a movie set thinks they can make the movie better than the director'.

• Premium Member
Lately I have been butchering my widescreen films by zooming in which effectively converts them to 16 x 9 so that my entire screen is filled up and I do not lose resolution.

As an operator, doesn't it kind of nag at you to be ignoring all the hard work that the DPs and operators of those films put into the composition?

This page has been around for about ten years! Yes, it's a joke.

When I first saw it, I forwarded the link to a cinematographer's forum (it was before this one existed I think) and also to a telecine forum. In general, cinematographers either got the joke, or reacted in horror. Most of the telecine folk rushed to ask where they could get the technology. OMG! :o

The worrying news is that exactly this process is now genuinely available - at least for still images. Look at this.

http://www.seamcarving.com/

• 2 weeks later...
This page has been around for about ten years! Yes, it's a joke.

When I first saw it, I forwarded the link to a cinematographer's forum (it was before this one existed I think) and also to a telecine forum. In general, cinematographers either got the joke, or reacted in horror. Most of the telecine folk rushed to ask where they could get the technology. OMG! :o

The worrying news is that exactly this process is now genuinely available - at least for still images. Look at this.

http://www.seamcarving.com/

even time magazine was guilty of this when they had to feature the pyramids of egypt on their cover some years ago. they couldn't fit the two pyramids in a vertical compostion so they they just moved them closer to each other digitally. is it any wonder photographs are no longer usable as evidence in court?