dr.zivago

dremz

hello all....

can any one plz explain me ..the method of shot shooted .....from the window of ....train

where hero sits beside the window and watches moon ......(shot through window)

with this the passing of tarin and ...moon...and landscapes seems very very original as if we viewing with our own eyes through window....!!

what could be the focal length and cameras we should use ....for real appereance of any images...? (motion pics..)

• Premium Member

I just looked at that shot on my DVD. It's a day for night shot (underexposed & blue-ish) of the sky and sun, but in post they optically printed a photo of the moon over the sun, carefully wiping the effect in and out with the passing clouds of smoke. It's preceded by a wider day for night shot of the sky and landscape (a frozen lake).

Remember that this was made back when the color film stock was 50 ASA so real moonlit landscapes were not possible, not from a moving train with real smoke passing through the shot. Actually it's STILL not possible to shoot real moonlit landscapes in real time (24 fps.) You could shoot a shot of the moon itself but the sky would be near black except right around the moon (except at dusk -- but these shots in Dr. Zhivago are sunlit.)

Talking about Doctor Zhivago...

50.jpg

I love this shot. Next week I'll go to La Calahorra Station (Sierra Nevada, Granada, Spain) where second unit cinematographer Manuel Berenguer [ASC] shot it in a winter morning of 1965.

I would like to take a similar photograph with my 35mm still camera.

David,

Considering it was taken fron a distance of about four miles, what focal lenght do you think they used?

I'm planning to use a 300mm lens, cause the last time I went there (late afternoon of an August day) I only had a 200mm:

52.jpg

It's funny, but that's the exact place where Sergio Leone, three years later, did many scenes for Once upon a time in the West, including the famous train arrival of Claudia Cardinale.

• Premium Member

I can't tell what focal length was used from the photo other than it was a long one, like a 300mm anamorphic maybe, although there's a lot of depth of field for that.

When I see the name "Calahorra" I can't help but think of the great jousting sequence in "El Cid"...

Thank you, David.

When I see the name "Calahorra" I can't help but think of the great jousting sequence in "El Cid"...

Great memory!

A lot of movies where shot (at least some parts) here in Spain back in the 60's and 70's: "Lawrence of Arabia", Samuel Bronston's "King of Kings", "55 days at Pekin", "The Fall of the Roman Empire" and of course "El Cid", Franklin Schaffner's "Patton" and "Nicholas and Alexandra", John Milius' "The Wind and the Lion" and "Conan" and even the infamous "Krakatoa, East of Java".

Of course, Sergio Leone shot here his famous "Dollars Trilogy", "OUATIW" and "Duck you Sucker" (AKA "A Fistful of Dynamite").

Last winter, Ridley Scott used a lot of Spanish locations for his new film, "The Kingdom of Heaven".

:)