Show I am on just flipped union

I am a loader on a show that just flipped to union and I was wondering what I should expect.

You can expect the hours you accumulate to go toward the number needed to apply to the union. You can also expect me to be very envious of you! Getting on a Union show, being a non-union crew member is almost a catch-22. Having a show flipped while you're on it can be a lottery ticket if it comes during the right time in your life.

A very large initiation fee, followed shortly by a justification as to why you don't qualify for the health insurance.

From what I can tell from here.

P

Hey, at least there isn't an initiation ceremony, at least as far as I know, I guess there could be a secret one...

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Hey, at least there isn't an initiation ceremony, at least as far as I know, I guess there could be a secret one...

love

Freya

Thank you, Sir, may I have another? :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Any information why the production signed with IATSE after production started? For yourself, I sort of imagine the Union Fairy Godmother coming down and touching you on the head with her Local 600 Solidarity magic wand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Any information why the production signed with IATSE after production started? For yourself, I sort of imagine the Union Fairy Godmother coming down and touching you on the head with her Local 600 Solidarity magic wand.

Usually, especially as the loader, they will reduce your initiation fee PLUS you can pay it over time (like 5 years or something). It can be a hard decision to make depending on where you are in your career. There are positives and negatives. Join to early and it be very hard to find work, and then your still paying dues, your P&W contribution, etc. and getting nothing in return. If you know a number of union ACs it can be good, if not it can be a waste of money for you. Also it will limit where you can work; many times productions won't pay to hire non-locals and you can't just tell them you'll work as a local if it isn't your local area.

~Marque