220° Shutter opening VS. Shutter speed??!?

Jari Hakli

Hello!

I just aquired a Super 8 camera. It is a Sankyo, Sound XL-420 Supertronic.

As I understand it only runs with two options of ASA film settings (whicj is determined by cartridge) so I must compensate the aperture manually if I am to use different film speeds.

But now the thing I was wondering about, although I can manipulate aperture there is no way of changing "shutter speed" like in ordinary still photography cameras. In specifications it says 220° Shutter opening. What is that? And how does that correlate to the "shutter speed" of ordinary cameras (1/125, 1/250 etc.)??

Thanks a lot!

:blink: OK, after some hard brainwork I got to the conclusion that my camera with 220 degree shutter has Shutter speed of about 1/40s at 24fps.

I read also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed

...that movies have about 1/48 - 1/50 s shutter speed with 165-180 Shutter angles, what amazes me is then how moving objects don´t seem to be more blurred, with motion blur. I mean when I take photo with still photo camera at those speeds (below 1/60) and I shake camera it is motion blurry. Hmm...

Well, well. The footage I´ve seen on Super 8 don´t seem som blurred when there are objects in motion. Maybe the Shutter dial also can spin faster, and faster and faster and faster and... hehe .. .. :D hehe... and slower, and slower, slower.. :)

• Premium Member

Your frames definitely do have motion blur. Look at some film with strong magnification, and you'll see still images with some blur on fast moving objects. Fast moving objects blur when you look at them with your eyes in the real world, too. If you shoot with a very small shutter angle and reduce the motion blur, it destroys the illusion of motion. You see sharp still images, sort of a high speed slide show. Remember "Saving Private Ryan"?

-- J.S.

Your frames definitely do have motion blur. Look at some film with strong magnification, and you'll see still images with some blur on fast moving objects. Fast moving objects blur when you look at them with your eyes in the real world, too. If you shoot with a very small shutter angle and reduce the motion blur, it destroys the illusion of motion. You see sharp still images, sort of a high speed slide show. Remember "Saving Private Ryan"?

Aaah, OK-ok! I understand. Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...

I had a Sankyo xl-620, it was the first super 8 I'd shot with, and a GREAT camera.

Very fast lens, 1.2 lens, plus the 220 deg. shutter. Great for low light.

One of the most interesting features was the ability to set the counter manually on the camera. So you could remove the film, and replace it with a different (which you may have already shot 10' on) cartridge, and adjust the counter by just using a pen (or something pointy) to dial in the counter.

Very cool.