Tape Vs.

Michael Frymus

Tape Vs. Memory card

Lp Vs. Sp

I have never recorded on any of these formats for a while now. The main reason, I don't use cameras. I'm more of a director.

I'm just trying to make an HD 2min. short film but, I don't know which format is better.

Which has better image quality;

-Mini DV Tape; and with this there are two choices Lp or Sp?

-Memory Card

Edited by Michael Frymus

anyone?

I need to know asap!

*Reason I am using this is because I am still saving for a pro camera, and need to use this camera for now.

It's a strange question as we have no idea what you mean by tape or memory card.

I'm inclined to say tape on the basis it is probably HDV and I have no idea what you mean by memory card.

You will probably also be able to edit HDV more easily if you have little money.

If you said what cameras you had in mind it might have helped!

The question is too vague to make any sense so it's difficult to give a good answer.

SP would be better.

love

Freya

• 3 weeks later...

SP on tapes is the standard which means that you record to the length that the tape is meant to be (60 minutes for most tapes). With LP though, you're actually stretching the tape to get an additional 50% length (90 minutes total).

Tape versus memory card all depends on the camera. If it's an HVX200, you're going to be getting better quality recording to the P2 memory card as well as a faster workflow than if you record to the tape. But if your doing it on a consumer level camera I would just stick to using tape.

• Premium Member

Other issue comes to do with archiving when comparing memory card v tape. Shoot the tape, tape full put in new tape, capture, put on shelf. Or, shoot to card, dump footage, backup footage, erase card, capture, back up to something more robust than hard drive.

It's one of my small qualms with tapeless systems (like my own XDCam)-- what I save in tape stock, over time, I quickly make up for in hard drives/dvds sitting 'round.