13.5K scans?

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

I recently had a new idea on an old project. What if I did three, color-wheeled monochrome exposures of each frame with my 4.5K Bayer scanner and jammed them together in post. How would separate 4.5K, RGB put together and what would my max possible res end up being? 13.5K? Would this be a viable way to stretch my DIY scanner into higher res results?

• Site Sponsor
I recently had a new idea on an old project. What if I did three, color-wheeled monochrome exposures of each frame with my 4.5K Bayer scanner and jammed them together in post. How would separate 4.5K, RGB put together and what would my max possible res end up being? 13.5K? Would this be a viable way to stretch my DIY scanner into higher res results?

If it is in monochrome and you use a color wheel you will get a "real" 4.5K scan not 13.5K meaning that each RGB color will be 4.5K like a Arriscan or Northlight, etc. FotoKem has a scanner called the bigfoot (made by Imagica) for Imax scans which is 12K and that means 12K for each color RGB not bayer mask.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

I guess you could take several exposures with subpixel offsets, if you were capable of building something to that degree of precision (and were that mad). You could then get better results in like manner to something like a DVX-100 with its pixel shifted green channel.

It's difficult to mathematically calculate exactly what this would give you.

If you could get a 4.5K non-masked CCD and did three (or six or nine, for HDR) exposures with filters, I would not consider the resolution of the CCD to be a limiting factor for even quite high end work. The rest of the rig, particularly optics and registration, is entirely another matter.

P

• Premium Member

I was groping for a way to blend the individual RGB images ending up with accurate color and high resolution. My guess at the moment is that I can blend the colors using filters in AE and get dependable results. In order to get higher res I'd have to up-res before blending. But then I'd have to interpret with filters how that up-res would divide up a gray pixel and then interpret that as a color that can then be blended with the other two color images. I've never pulled a trick like that. So, I have no idea whether it might work or just turn it all into a pile of digital muck.

If I might get your best guess: Would it be better to get the RGB filtered image as monochromes then reassign the colors to them before blending? Or do it HDRI style and grab the RGB images as color images with the associated color wheel bias?

I've done some pixel offset experiments digitally. Wouldn't it be easier to do it digitally than mechanically? It's verlayed pixerls either way. Or is my gourd not thinking right?