Good older 16mm projector?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

I was looking around on ebay and found that there are lots and lots of older 16mm projectors that sell for very low amounts. What are some of the better brands/models? I was thinking of perhaps buying one so I could shoot some silent stuff and project it at home.

• Premium Member

Projectors with a simple manual threading path are much lower risk than the self-threading "film shredders" that have an inaccessable film path. The Kodak Pageants were a very simple design, and a "workhorse", but there are many other nice units out there. The very robust EASTMAN Model 25 or Model 30 is in high demand for fixed installations.

• Premium Member
Projectors with a simple manual threading path are much lower risk than the self-threading "film shredders" that have an inaccessable film path.  The Kodak Pageants were a very simple design, and a "workhorse", but there are many other nice units out there.  The very robust EASTMAN Model 25 or Model 30 is in high demand for fixed installations.

Cool, thanks. The manual threading doesn't bother me one bit, so I'll steer away from the automatic things.

When I worked for the University of Texas film library years ago I found they used nothing but Kodak Pageants on campus. They're good reliable machines. Kodak also had the CT1000 which was made by Elmo. I own a Pageant and a CT1000. And Elmos are highly regarded projectors. I would stay away from the autoload Bell & Howells and the Singers. A good second choice would be the Eikis though I find many with bad drive belts.

Edited by Herb Montes

I've got an Elmo 16-CL projector. 16mm channel loading sound projector with manual, extra take-up reel sitting on a shelf ready to ship. Some guy called me all hot to buy it so I boxed it up but then he flaked out. Been sitting here ever since. Make me an offer I can't refuse and it's yours. Box weighs 37 lbs.

Edited by PrestonHerrick

I have an Eiki SL-0 that is a work horse. I used it for public exhibition once a week for about 6 months. As long as the film was in good condidition (and even sometimes when it wasn't) it worked like a champ. I bought it at a second hand store (thift store) for 20$.

• 2 weeks later...
Projectors with a simple manual threading path are much lower risk than the self-threading "film shredders" that have an inaccessable film path.  The Kodak Pageants were a very simple design, and a "workhorse", but there are many other nice units out there.  The very robust EASTMAN Model 25 or Model 30 is in high demand for fixed installations.

I used to LOVE the Pageants!!!But then my school stopped using the Pageants...the argument being that there was trouble finding parts. So...how are supplies out there? Is service still available at places?

Thanks,

Diana

P.S.

(I agree about the "shredders," too. :angry: )

I know someone in Texas City who still services Pageants and sells them along with the Elmos. From what he tells me you can still find parts from some former service techs. There are enough of them out there to invest in some spare units for parts. And cheap too, I bought my Pageant off eBay for $50.

• Premium Member

With many schools "unloading" 16mm projectors on e-Bay and elsewhere, there are many machines available as sources for spare parts. Many people get parts for their classic cars at the scrapyard, and dealers often have the more common parts.

Unlike today's electronic gear, a film projector is often fixable if you are handy mechanically. Just like fixing an older, simpler car, as compared to a car with all the computerized emissions control and electronic ignition.