HPX 170 B&H Purchase Catastrophe - PAL/NTSC Advice Needed

Michael Koshkin

Hi All,

I also posted this on DVX User, but thought I would see if anybody here has any advice about my predicament.

I recently bought what is listed as the HPX 171E on the B&H website and have had two major problems.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lid_State.html

First of all, the camera was listed as coming with a 16 GB P2 card. But the camera was shipped without one. I then looked on the website and the card was no longer included. I have called the company and they are saying that it was a mistake on the website, but they shipped the camera anyway and can't send me the card.

Needless to say, I'm very frustrated with this, but I've recently discovered another huge problem. They actually sent me the HPX172EN, not the HPX 171E. I live in Prague, but will be back in the U.S. in a year or so. So one of the big attractions for me was that this camera is PAL/NTSC switchable. But the version they sent is only PAL. My brother happened to be visiting me from the States so I had it shipped to him and he brought it along for me.

So now, things are very complicated as even if they will exchange it for the HPX 171, I would have to pay for it to be shipped to Europe and then pay for VAT to have it imported (together would probably cost $1500-2000). The camera is an international special order from B&H so they have a no return policy on it, so I doubt they would let me return it without an exchange.

I know that several folks in the U.S. have been getting the PAL/NTSC switchable upgrade to their cameras for about $500, but does anybody know about someone doing this for a PAL only camera? I have contacted Panasonic in Germany and the Czech Republic with no response at this point. I am very close to the deadline for being able to return anything to B&H so trying to figure this out as soon as possible.

I noticed when I received the camera that the manual said HPX 172EN, but thought originally it was just a different European model. I didn't realize until going through the shooting modes that the others aren't there. I am able to change the audio from 50 to 60 and vice versa, but not the video format.

Apologies for such a lengthy post. It has been a really tricky issue to deal with and at this point I'm really bummed out by how B&H has handled this. I'm tempted to return the other $3,000 worth of goods I purchased from them at the same time if they don't take care of it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michael

I just posted the same on DVX User:

Looks like there is a happy ending here!

I just spoke with B&H and they have decided to take it back for a full refund (no restalking fee) even though I don't have the original packaging. They are also sending a UPS packaging label and covering the shipping.

Ok, so it took talking to 3 or 4 people from the company, but in the end I am very happy with B&H and will definitely support them in the future.

By the way, if anyone faces this same situation, I spoke with a guy from Panasonic earlier and he explained that these cameras can be converted from NTSC to include PAL, but not the other way around. So if you wind up with a PAL only HPX17X, it cannnot be converted.

• 1 month later...
I just posted the same on DVX User:

Looks like there is a happy ending here!

I just spoke with B&H and they have decided to take it back for a full refund (no restalking fee) even though I don't have the original packaging. They are also sending a UPS packaging label and covering the shipping.

Ok, so it took talking to 3 or 4 people from the company, but in the end I am very happy with B&H and will definitely support them in the future.

By the way, if anyone faces this same situation, I spoke with a guy from Panasonic earlier and he explained that these cameras can be converted from NTSC to include PAL, but not the other way around. So if you wind up with a PAL only HPX17X, it cannnot be converted.

I think B&H is probably one if not the best company when itcomes to customer service, I haven't had a problem with them.

• Premium Member

I'm sure you've noticed that B&H shuts their website commerce down from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. They practice their Judaism in all facets of their life...even to the extent of shutting down their automated web order taking system on the Sabbath.

Scripture states that "The seventh day is the day of worship dedicated to the LORD your God. You, your sons, your daughters, your male and female slaves, your cattle, and the foreigners living in your city must never do any work [on that day]. B&H talks the talk AND walks the walk...and they seem to be equating their computers to "beasts". I don't doubt in the least that the way they handled your problem naturally followed from their deep religious belief and practice.

A client of mine revels in relating his trip to B&H in NYC. He likens it to being thrust into a modern day remake of "Fiddler on the Roof".

• 5 weeks later...