NEW RED LENSES

Had a chance to project a set of the new RED primes and was actually very surprised with what I saw.

Good contrast (not as good as Cookes or Ultra Primes but still very good)

Slight pin cushion/barrel distortion on the wides (not much really)

Hardly any breathing (that really surprised me there because it is one of the hardest things to build on a lens)

The 25mm is super heavy, steadycam guys are not gonna love it

Some of the long lenses had better close focus than the Cookes (What!!??##)

Good resolution, resolving almost equal to the Cookes

I understand they are in the range of $20.000 a set, I couldn't believe it.

Also, tested the light transmission and for the most part, T2, a little off from the 1.8 they claim

They do feel a little more bulky though and the front diameter is 110mm, another accessory you will need to make that clip-on work.

overall, not bad

Enthusiastic thread title!

I wonder if these lenses would be in the same price range as the re-release of the Cooke Panchros due out some time later this year. I think that would be a more fair comparison. I'm surprised about the breathing and close focus though! How did you do your test of the resolution?

Edited by Rob Vogt

Enthusiastic thread title!

I wonder if these lenses would be in the same price range as the re-release of the Cooke Panchros due out some time later this year. I think that would be a more fair comparison. I'm surprised about the breathing and close focus though! How did you do your test of the resolution?

Hello Rob,

For resolution you use a series of squares with black and white lines in them as well as a siemens star in the center, these lines are in the range of 50-200 lines per millimeter and they are distributed all over the ground glass of the lens projector, depending on how many lines you are able to see with a magnifying glass that is the resolving power of the lens. There are more sophisticated ways of doing these like the MTF machines.

Managed to work with a set (sans the 300mm) a few weeks ago on a commercial. At first we thought the markings weren't taping out, but it was just a back focus issue. Once that was fixed, they seemed to perform beautifully. I can't speak for their optical quality, but the DP seemed to be very pleased in tests he'd done and this shoot was the set's maiden voyage in production.

They handle and feel similar to Master Primes...I'd hesitate to say they even compare though.

Comparison tests are very much needed :)

• 2 weeks later...
They're manufactured by Cooke. I worked with the whole set last weekend. We were quite pleased with them, but they're are to big and heavy, the steadicam operator, wasn't to happy.

This is not true. Please do not post statements on the internet as fact unless you know them to be so and can prove it. I in fact do know what company manufactures the lenses and it is not Cooke, who have absolutely nothing to do with them. The lenses are made in Japan, as stated by RED and in fact marked on the lenses as such. Cooke is in the UK.

• Premium Member
This is not true. Please do not post statements on the internet as fact unless you know them to be so and can prove it. I in fact do know what company manufactures the lenses and it is not Cooke, who have absolutely nothing to do with them. The lenses are made in Japan, as stated by RED and in fact marked on the lenses as such. Cooke is in the UK.

http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/products/redset.html

Possibly thinking of these, not the new RED lenses. If memory serves, these Cookes came out a while ago.

• Premium Member
Hi,

There normal S4's with Red markings.

Stephen

Yup, and any AC with any sense will immediately rub white or yellow china marker into the markings. You can't see red on black in dim light.