Is Premeir Pro 1.5 good for the DVX100a?

Guest jeff

Hi all,

I am about to get a DVX 100A and a friend just sold me his copy of premier pro 1.5. I was wondering if premier is a good choice for editing (for making a commercial for a new company) vs. Avid Xpress.

The problem I have is that Avid is spec'd to use NVidia graphics cards and I currently have an ATI graphics card in my Computer.

To quasi-test this, I loaded Avid on my computer and it seemed to use all of my system's resources and didnt seem to want to work, So I would rather use Premier.

Do any of you have experience using the DVX 100A on premier Pro 1.5? If so, how did the two work together and was the output as good as Avid ( I saw that Avid's codec seemed a bit better than Apple's). I also noticed that Premier has native support for the DVX 100A... Is this usefl or just a gimmick?

Thanks so very much for your opinions!

Have a great holiday everyone!

Jeff Del Vecchio

You're likely to get varying opinions on this and there's a certain amount of snobbery when it comes to Avid since it's been used in the industry for so long. However, I've used Premiere for years and of course, PPro more recently. We're finishing a short film shot with the 100a in PA mode. It has worked very well so far, no problems, and effectively removes the 3:2 pulldown to work in true 24p mode. Vegas and FCP will do it too. If removing the pulldown in not important or necessary to you (and most of the time it isn't) then just about any NLE, including Avid Xpress, will get the job done. IMO, you'll see no discernable difference between the two on output.

Edited by PrestonHerrick

Hi,

> shot with the 100a in PA mode.

> the 3:2 pulldown

You can't have both. Did you shoot in 24pA? If so, it isn't 3:2 pulldown.

Phil

So I need to shoot in 24P only to edit in Ppro then?

Jeff

Hi,

> shot with the 100a in PA mode.

> the 3:2 pulldown

You can't have both. Did you shoot in 24pA? If so, it isn't 3:2 pulldown.

Phil

Well, don't get hung up on semantics. Call it Panasonics implementation of a 3:2 pulldown - whatever. I fully understand the differences between 24p Normal and 24p Advanced. PPro will remove the pulldown, extra frames, whatever you want to call it from footage shot in either mode. The short of it is: if you want or plan to do a film-out down the road, shoot 24pa. You don't have to shoot in 24p Normal to use PPro 1.5. In fact, it'll remove the "pulldown" whether you want to or not (a current flaw in Premiere) regardless of the mode.

There's certainly a lot of snobbery about Avid, in my humble experience. I recently shot a short that was cut with a pro avid system (don't remember which one) and it really didn't impress me. The only good thing was that you could capture and edit uncompressed. In fact, if I had cut it, I would have preferred Premiere over professional Avid worth of too much cash.

I've also used the Xpress and I prefer Premiere Pro any day.

OK, so it looks like Ppro1.5 is a go then.

Thanks very much for the advice!

Avid looks like a good program but the hardware reqirements were kind of a turnoff to me. I like my ATI video cards and didnt want to have to swap them out to edit video.

I also have used premier 6 before on a small video so I am familiar with it.

Now I have to learn how to use the camera and pro 1.5....weeeeee

Thanks again guys and have a great christmas!!!

I look forward to any other words of advice from all of you in this thread if you feel like it!

Jeff

Oh amd BTW... I build gaming PC's. If anyone would loike any advice or help on the subject of fast systems I would be really happy to help. You can email me at jeff@predatorgamingpc.com. I can help with tech probs or designs and the best places to buy items.