One thing about this movie that hasn't really been discussed is where it was made. Maybe it has but who has time to read 300 posts?

It's quite astonishing to me that the entire movie was made in New Zealand:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10621942

I lived in NZ from 87-89, at that time there was not even a mention of a film industry in the country, I can't believe how far it has come with LOTR, King Kong, and now Avatar. Peter Jackson has almost single handedly built an entire film industry in NZ. The work that WETA is doing is truly amazing. (NZs population is only 4 million FYI.)

It seems the sky is the limit for the industry in NZ, especially with their tax credit program and cheap dollar. I'm guessing not many people know that the NZ gov't put 45 million into Avatar.

Think of the all the NZ kids dreaming of going to Hollywood to work in film only to discover that Hollywood keeps arriving on their front door step.

Well three cheers for the Kiwis, you can't argue with their results. They own rugby and sailing, now they own film production as well! :o

R,

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about this movie that hasn't really been discussed is where it was made. Maybe it has but who has time to read 300 posts?

It's quite astonishing to me that the entire movie was made in New Zealand:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10621942

I lived in NZ from 87-89, at that time there was not even a mention of a film industry in the country, I can't believe how far it has come with LOTR, King Kong, and now Avatar. Peter Jackson has almost single handedly built an entire film industry in NZ. The work that WETA is doing is truly amazing. (NZs population is only 4 million FYI.)

It seems the sky is the limit for the industry in NZ, especially with their tax credit program and cheap dollar. I'm guessing not many people know that the NZ gov't put 45 million into Avatar.

Think of the all the NZ kids dreaming of going to Hollywood to work in film only to discover that Hollywood keeps arriving on their front door step.

Well three cheers for the Kiwis, you can't argue with their results. They own rugby and sailing, now they own film production as well! :o

R,

The Entire movie was not made in NZ. They had a mocap studio in LA and several other vfx venders contributed significant portions of the work (ILM etc.) It is true that the majority was done in NZ though.

Details, details. It's like deciding what an American car is when a Ford has an engine built in Canada, and a drive train built in Mexico. I'm packing up and moving back to NZ!!

NZ has so much going for it right now, US unemployment is 10%, only 4% in NZ.

When I lived in NZ the country was in hard times and the Americans I worked with often mocked the Kiwi economy, gee how things have flip-flopped!

R,

• Premium Member

Strangely enough, I lived in New Zealand from 1978 until 1987, and I pulled out before the country went any further down the tubes. Of the six companies I’d worked for over there, all but five had gone bankrupt by the time I left and the last one followed suit shortly after I returned to Australia. (No, nothing to do with me, the rot had set in long before. It had somehow became fashionable to appoint CEOs with zero experience in the field they were moving into, to somehow generate a “fresh perspective”.)

Mind you I went to Australia to take up a position with a well-known manufacturer of audio equipment who then told me the job was no longer available when I got there. Then I worked for channel 7 for a while just as a certain Christopher Skase was in the process of taking the money and running.

God knows how many $100s of millions of work Australia lost to NZ, from a combination of government political correctness, and sheer bloody-mindedness on the part of Actors Equity.

R,

Funny how often the name “New Zealand” crops up in relation to a certain brand of camera, whether you’re talking about its passionate proponents or its joyless, vicious, snarling, bile-dripping tooth-enamel splintering , hate-filled detractors like you and me :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

First, I'm sorry if this has already come up... I have to confess I didn't read all the 330+ posts on Avatar so far.

There's been some comments as to how good the film looks in 15/65mm IMAX. Does anyone know what resolution they rendered the CGI in?

In my opinion, the 1080p shots didn't look that good even in 2K projection...

Edited by Antti Näyhä