Camera Assist Work Gear

• Premium Member
I got a nice padded work belt at Home Depot. You can get the rest here: http://www.filmtools.com/camassup.html

Yp. I get a lot of stuff at home depot. When you go to get a belt pouch, get one made by lindcraft rather than the cinebags one. I got a cinebags pouch and wore holes all through it within a year. My current lindcraft pouch is faring much better.

• Premium Member
When you go to get a belt pouch, get one made by lindcraft rather than the cinebags one. I got a cinebags pouch and wore holes all through it within a year. My current lindcraft pouch is faring much better.

+1. My first pouch was a Cinebags and the belt holster part ripped after a few years. The small Lindcraft AC pouch I have now is built better.

• Premium Member
modular51.com - This is where I get all my gear from. It's by far the best.

My belt came from Lowes (AWP I think or something)...I've found there stuff holds up better than the home depot ones. My pouch is a Setwear and I've had it at least 4 years now. The only issue I've had with it is that I put scissors (pointed fiskars) into one of the pouchs so it poked a small hole in the bottom of that pouch but otherwise its been great and taken a lot of wear and tear. My bottle holder (either water or canned air) is a cinebags...its ok. And my walkie holder is also by setwear. My walkie holder is somewhat new since I tend to give mine away to the camera dept. PA so I seem to be buying a new one frequently but they've always been good.

~Marque

+1. My first pouch was a Cinebags and the belt holster part ripped after a few years. The small Lindcraft AC pouch I have now is built better.

I'm about to trade in my Cinebags for a Lindcraft. It's holding up fine, but at times is just too bulky for its own good. Been thinking of a chest pouch since I saw a 1st AC using one on a recent show, and he sold the idea to me...can't remember what brand it was though.

• Upvote 1

I hardly ever wear my belt anymore, it usually ends up around the tripod if it comes out at all. It's the nylon 2" Lindcraft belt with the Cinebags AC pouch and the belt rubs on my hipbones and hurts like a b*tch. I'd sell it to you but I trimmed off a fair amount of excess since I'm pretty skinny. My pouch is starting to fall apart too, come to think of it... :( Definitely get a padded belt, especially if, like me, you HAVE no padding!

• Premium Member
NEVER cared for the nylon belts. I almost always wear a black leather belt for casual wear...and when that's starting to look a bit beat up and I get a new one, the old one becomes my new work belt. The leather just feels so much more comfortable to me.

I agree, the nylon ones always seem to cut into my side. I have a wide heavy cotton belt that I like a lot. I think it was $4 at home depot.

Also check Paramedic Equipment and Police Supply usually at Army Surplus. Their equipment is the industrial Strength. I am slimming my weight that I carry and getting it all made out of leather. Especially for my Hilti.

Gunnar Mortensen

Focus Puller

• 3 weeks later...
Also check Paramedic Equipment and Police Supply usually at Army Surplus.

I second the military surplus stores. It's easy to find one no matter where in the country you live and they have many pouches and belts to choose from. They are also very cheap. I've gotten new pouches for as little as $5, so they are great when first starting out, especially if you haven't yet had a chance to figure out what exactly you'll like and use most. I use their canteen pouch for my canned air and also my water bottle.

Edited by Michele Peterson

• Premium Member
I wouldn't suggest using canned air on glass worth much of anything. Depending on the angle your spray it and other factors it can present problems. Use a lens blower.

Like most operations with lenses, it's harmless if you do it right.

I'm about to trade in my Cinebags for a Lindcraft. It's holding up fine, but at times is just too bulky for its own good. Been thinking of a chest pouch since I saw a 1st AC using one on a recent show, and he sold the idea to me...can't remember what brand it was though.

I think it's a setwear one you're probably talking about. I saw someone wearing one on a show a while ago and I tried it on...it was slightly tempting, as funny looking as it was.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone :)

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you something. Soon I'll buy a pouch and I'm undecided between two:

Lindcraft

popup_bag_Lindcraft_g31.jpg

and Setwear

ACJumboOpn_515.jpg

I would buy the Setwear because I don’t have much money but… Does it have three internal compartments like the Lindcraft? (very useful to have a separate notebook, for exemple).

Thank you and sorry for my poor english :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I would still get the lindcraft. The chances of it still being cheaper in the long run (because of replacing the setwear pouch) are good.

Yes the Setwear has the same three internal pouches plus two smaller ones to either side which fit a small flashlight well or a marker. I've had lindcraft items and I use the large setwear pouch. The lindcraft and setwear are of equal quality. They're made out of the same materials. Get whichever you want.

~Marque

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone :)

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you something. Soon I'll buy a pouch and I'm undecided between two:

Lindcraft

popup_bag_Lindcraft_g31.jpg

and Setwear

ACJumboOpn_515.jpg

I would buy the Setwear because I don’t have much money but… Does it have three internal compartments like the Lindcraft? (very useful to have a separate notebook, for exemple).

Thank you and sorry for my poor english :unsure:

I bought the Setwear. I used it normally, but already after a few weeks it got holes in it, due to a spiky element in the fabric. So I would not recomment it.

post-54147-0-12904100-1323225141.jpg

• 6 months later...

modular51.com - This is where I get all my gear from. It's by far the best.

This stuff looks a lot like the pouches and bags that are coming from Fikenca. (www.fikenca.com)

Fikenca is also located near vancouver and literally every camera assistant uses these bags.

If its the same stuff then this is where you need to get your gear. Their bags are the best out there.

The fikenca bags are handmade in the basement of the owner's house, and they never keep any stock. They just make the bags one order at a time, which is why it takes 4-6 weeks to receive your order.

but it's totally worth it.

They're not a real retail store so they are hard to find out about and get a hold of. Most AC's are introduced to them via word-of-mouth.

Right now they're working on a large AKS ditty bag in red for me. I'll post pictures when I receive it.

• 3 months later...

I don't wear belt either. The only things I need these days are a couple different pens in my pocket, walkie clipped to my jeans, and a small folding knife in my back pocket.

Anything else that I need is always close by and I have a very good 2nd.