A Man with a Camera

Jody Lipes

I just completed A Man With A Camera, which was one of the most fascinating and educational cinematography books i have ever read. I have heard of the book New Cinematographers, but can anyone recommend other important and worthwhile books along the same lines as Nestor Almendros's semi-auto biography?

• Premium Member

No other cinematographer's autobiographies have dealt so much in the personal philosophy behind lighting as Almendro's -- maybe Henri Alekan's coffee table book, "Des Lumieres Et Des Ombres", but it's in French so I can only stare at the pictures. Storaro discusses his philosophy in his expensive three-volume set but he is loathe to discuss technical details and practical experience.

I've read so many to date (Hume, Cardiff, Young, Walker, Lassally, Borredaile, Watkin, Laslo, etc.) Some are more enjoyable than others. Hume's was particularly dull, a laundry list of what studios he worked at and for whom; I'd be surprised if he expressed more than three whole sentences about his ideas on cinematography and lighting. Watkin's is a little better in that regard, as is Lassally's. Almendro's is still the best probably.

I also greatly enjoy Karl Brown's book "Adventures with D.W. Griffith", a fascinating portrait of growing up as a teenage camera assistant to Billy Bitzer and learning about how movies are made -- and what it was like to live in Los Angeles in the 1910's.

a student director i recently shot a short for gave it to me for christmas, unfortunately i don't know where he got it.

thanks for the list david mullen, i have never felt so relieved as when i first picked up "A Man With A Camera" and began to see another dp's thought process on paper for the first time. a lot of the mystery of "what the other guys are doing that i have no idea about" got washed away (for the time being anyway).

cinematography can be so beautifully simple. a good eye, understanding of story, knowledge of personal taste/genre, respect for your director/collaborators, and a little bit of technical knowledge can go a long way.

do other people take extensive notes on all of their projects like it seems Nestor did?

i guess this site is at least a starting point for some people.

Hi

I like Almendro's book, if I could just get a hold of some of those films he mentions in the beginning of the book.

I still think that "Masters of Light" is one of the best books out there eventhough it's not autobiographical.

Also, check out Principal Photography. Some of my favorite Dp's are featured there:

Adam Holender, Don McAlpine, Fred Elmes, Gordon Willis, Conrad Hall, Allen Daviau.

Great Book!

And for more straight forward technical info. definetely read Film Lighting.

Francisco