Searching for a lighting workshop

Hi,

I am an exchange student in filmmaking and I am searching for a good lighting workshop.

I have spotted one http://www.solarnyc.com/lightingworkshop

They also have a Youtube video

It seems really good. What do you think about it?

They may be good I don't know, but I'm not sure how a professional conducts business through a gmail account.

Gmail does sell "professional services" these days, though i'm not sure if it's still a gmail name at the end of it or not.

OK. Thanks, I didn't know. I phoned them to ask some questions and they answered in a straight and kind way.

I think I'm gonna take this one.

Is there anyone interested in lighting too?

OK. Thanks, I didn't know. I phoned them to ask some questions and they answered in a straight and kind way.

I think I'm gonna take this one.

Is there anyone interested in lighting too?

Hi Laura,

I am a student too in filmmaking. Where are you from? I am in NYU.

I have checked the workshop, it seems great!

Are you taking it? Because I need some catch up in lighting too...

Is there anyone from NYC that knows this workshop?

I am from Paris.

The workshop seems really great to learn the most important techniques. How did you find the workshop? I found it through Meet up.

It would be cool if some people from NYC could tell us if they know it. More opinions on it are welcome (from teachers or people who know about lights)

What do you mean?

I conduct my business through a gmail account.....

What I mean is that gmail is a free account. If one purchases their own website/domain name for business the domain name would be a part of their email, like Solar Productions for example. I feel that the company has made a commitment to doing what they do by having this to support their "product." As a consumer in the internet marketplace, I have more confidence in a company with it's own domain. With that name, I can search for reviews do a little more research before I spend my money. You don't need to feel that way, but I do.

Tom

What I mean is that gmail is a free account. If one purchases their own website/domain name for business the domain name would be a part of their email, like Solar Productions for example. I feel that the company has made a commitment to doing what they do by having this to support their "product." As a consumer in the internet marketplace, I have more confidence in a company with it's own domain. With that name, I can search for reviews do a little more research before I spend my money. You don't need to feel that way, but I do.

Tom

Ok I understand. You're referring to a company.

I'm self-employed but not a company.....

• 3 weeks later...
You could find a great Mole Richardson Workshop in LA. Call them and ask for Larry Parker.

Thank you but I am in NYC...

Thanks to everybody for your advice!!

I went to the workshop last Saturday, this was really great!I learned a lot of things that I'll be able to use in my next project. The teacher (Eric Lau) is really enthusiastic and makes it easy to follow. If you need some catch up in lighting, I really think you should go.

I'm going to the next one on October 10 and 11 because it is an intensive one with a lot of hands on so that we can train.

Thanks again to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me? but unless that course is been taught by Roger Deakins and Gordon Willis it seams at little odd to basically take their work, add some titles and and use it to advertise a workshop. Just my 2 cents.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help. I just wanted to let you know that I went to the workshop this weekend and seriously, it was AWESOME!!!The teacher, Eric Lau, is really great and I learnt a lot. We did many hands-on so it was not boring at all!!Definitely worth the money! I'm going to the November class and if you need some catch up in lighting, this is THE place to be.

Here is their website www.solarnyc.com/lightingworkshop

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• 1 year later...

I'm an indie filmmaker for 8 years and lighting is always my weakest link. I stumbled upon this conversation about the lighting workshop in this forum a few months ago. I finally gave it a try last month and was pleasantly surprised. It's very practical and insightful and the fee was reasonable. I don't want to oversell them but it is a good workshop and I'd like to share the experience with other filmmakers. Btw, they're actually a production company and according to them, the workshop is just their pet project. Overall, nice people and a good workshop.

• Premium Member

You could find a great Mole Richardson Workshop in LA. Call them and ask for Larry Parker.

I second this!

Larry is the Grandson of Peter Mole and is one of the most generous industry professionals I know. He has devoted his life to educating future cinematographers and crew members and is approachable in every way. If you are ever in California, you should give him a shout.

Good luck,

Shelly