Targa 2000 Codec

Jim Keller

I've recently unearthed a stack of CD (sic) backups of a project I was working on in 1998 and 1999, for which we used a Mac Quadra with a Targa 2000 board. I understand the Targa 2000 system used hardware encoding as part of its codec, making the source files unreadable without the card installed in the computer.

Of course, the hardware is long gone. But I'd love to be able to crack open these files and take a look at them again. We did roll to tape, but digitizing off of that involves renting a deck and putting up with a generation loss on top of what was already a lossy codec.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a way to use old Targa 2000 .mov files without the Targa 2000 board. Real-time isn't necessary, as I'd be perfectly content to be able to simply convert the files over to a modern codec.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jim Keller

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a way to use old Targa 2000 .mov files without the Targa 2000 board. Real-time isn't necessary, as I'd be perfectly content to be able to simply convert the files over to a modern codec.

It might be worth trying VLC ("Video Lan Client") - it's probable that the files are just mjpg encoded (motion jpeg).

Max.

It might be worth trying VLC ("Video Lan Client") - it's probable that the files are just mjpg encoded (motion jpeg).

Max.

Max, it was a great idea, but, alas, no, it has the same problem QuickTime has.

It's really a tragedy that Pinnacle was acquired by Avid. I have very little hope of anyone there even realizing the Targa 2000 Pro is their product, much less knowing if any of their hardware or software can support the old files...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!!

as far as i know targa dont use HW to read or write video.

targa 2000 is hard to find. my guess is that if you try with targa cinewave codecs could work cose cinewave is kind of targa2000 upgrade

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...?mode=documents

there you can download mac and pc soft.

bests!

GT

• 3 weeks later...
targa 2000 is hard to find. my guess is that if you try with targa cinewave codecs could work cose cinewave is kind of targa2000 upgrade

Alas, CinéWave doesn't seem to do it, either. I'm beginning to suspect it's a lost cause.