Shutter Speed for Music Video Question

Michael Koshkin

Hi All,

I'm planning to shoot a low budget music video with my Nikon R10 in a few months and have a question about shutter speed.

I generally shoot in 18fps because of cost and I honestly can't tell the difference in look between this and 24fps.

But I'm thinking that in this video I might shoot a few short segments of the band playing to the song (lip synching, basically). So my question is, will I have synchronizing problems in post if I shoot 18fps? I was thinking that I would play the song on a stereo while shooting and have the band play along. So will I need to shoot at 24fps in order for the playback speed to synch with the actual recorded song? I haven't tried this before.

I will most likely have the film transfered at Andec (Rank Cintel Flying Spot Transfer) at whatever speed I end up shooting in.

If it makes a difference, I will likely use a combination of E-64T, Tri-X and Plus-X (the stock I happen to have sitting around). Also, if it makes a difference, the end result will mostly be for viewing online.

And one final question that probably ought to be asked in a separate thread. I bought a super 8 camera in Berlin recently at a flea market and it included a roll of Kodachrome 40 that expired in 1980. Is it even worth trying? Or will it be a guaranteed nothing? I know I'd have to send it to Dwayne's in the U.S., but thought maybe I'd give it a try since I hear so much about the stock. I shoot quite a bit of experimental stuff so would probably like the effect if it came out really strange. I just don't want to waste the money if I'm going to get back a black or white roll.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm planning to shoot a low budget music video with my Nikon R10 in a few months and have a question about shutter speed.

I generally shoot in 18fps because of cost and I honestly can't tell the difference in look between this and 24fps.

If it makes a difference, I will likely use a combination of E-64T, Tri-X and Plus-X (the stock I happen to have sitting around). Also, if it makes a difference, the end result will mostly be for viewing online.

And one final question that probably ought to be asked in a separate thread. I bought a super 8 camera in Berlin recently at a flea market and it included a roll of Kodachrome 40 that expired in 1980. Is it even worth trying?

Shoot at 24fps. It will make the lip sync parts easier. Shoot the K40 Kodachrome. The images will

have nice blue-magenta color shifts. You may be pleasantly suprised.