Slider Thingy

Chris Freilich

This item was left over from a shoot I did last year. Nobody involved in the production and none of the rental houses claim ownership of it. It was not something we ordered for the shoot, and as a matter of fact, I don't know what its intended purpose is.

As you can see, it has a Mitchell mount, and it pans very smoothly. The main part of this device is a U-channel design about 1 inch deep. (You can't see the U-shape that runs the length of the thing in the photos... sorry!)

At one end it looks like another Mitchell-type mounting plate, but it's not standard.

So you can mount this thing to a tripod or dolly, and push it to spin it around. Beyond that, I don't know. It kind of looks like the bottom half of a slider, but I'm stumped.

Anybody ever seen anything like this? I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Chris Freilich

Cinematographer

http://www.virtuosofilms.com

post-25414-1252293393.jpg

post-25414-1252293405.jpg

Does any part of it slide? It does not look like any kind of slider I have ever seen. Can you post a picture of whats on the other side of the male mitchell mount? It maybe some kind of home made rig your grip came up with for another job and he offloaded it from his truck and it just stayed there. Its probably completely useless judging by the fact that no one has stepped forward to claim it. If I left my slider behind you can be sure I will be back to get it !!

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

Looking at the picture closer , it looks like there is a female mitchell reciever on one end. It could be this is an offset to undersling a Lambda head. That would also explain the pan built into it. The extension on the other side may just be to add ballast such as sandbags as couterbalance.

Maybe.

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com

Thanks, Sanjay,

I think you're probably right about the offset idea. That was what I figured it might be, since it doesn't have any sliding bits.

I wish I knew what to do with it. It seems like the panning Mitchell base is worth something, but I don't know...

-- Chris