Series 9 filters

Patrick Barry

Hey guys,

Just got a camera with an Angenieux zoom lens 15mm to 150mm (10 x 15 B, if that makes a difference). I'm trying to get some filters for it but am a little confused.

I had been recommended Series 9 filters, of which I already have one. The Series 9 filters are exactly the same size on the outside as the end of the lens, if you line them up. Now, the end of the lens doesn't so much have threading as it has a sort of pop-in-and-screw kind of locking mechanism.

I clearly need to get some step up /or down rings for the lens. Are there any recommendations as to how to go about this? I don't even know what filter size the lens is to make a choice.

Thanks guys!

I thought the 15-150 f2.8 had 77mm threads. It's possible your lens was modified somehow but you may have some kind of adapter already on the lens. It may be on with set screws, or threaded in.

Those are the two basic ways the adapter ataches to the lens. For example, a screw-in adapter for the 12-120 Ang for series 9 filters is called 72m9 by Tiffen. The first number is the tread size, the second the series size, and the m indicates screw-in.

The other way to attach an adapter is to clamp it on the ouside of the lens. An example would be 80ss9. Now 80mm is the measurement of the outside diameter lens, and ss indicates some kind of set screw to keep the adapter on. I've seen them with one or three set screws. There is also an sslr designation which is similar.

So if your lens has no threads, you need to measure the exterior diameter, and if it's 82mm(series 9 filters are about 82mm) you need to look for 82ss9 or 82sslr9 adapter. I'm not sure if such adapter was made, but I know an 83sslr was.

Hope that makes sense.