Sony HVR-Z1 HDV Camcorder

Daniel Aranyo AEC

Has anyone heard about this camera ?

Sony HVR-Z1 HDV Camcorder

https://www.globalmediapro.com/av/index.cgi...oc=p&locID=1236

I am looking for the best quality Video camera under $5000 and I work both in the US and in Europe, so it looks like this one could use both formats, PAl and NTSC.

Please give me quick feedback, because I need to buy it before the year ends, for Tax Purposes.

Thank you so much !!!

Daniel

Guest Timothy Brown

Buying it before the end of the year will be difficult. That cameras release date isn't until Feb., but it's little brother the FX-1 is available now, but unfortunately doesn't do PAL and NTSC.

-Tim

Buying it before the end of the year will be difficult. That cameras release date isn't until Feb., but it's little brother the FX-1 is available now, but unfortunately doesn't do PAL and NTSC.

-Tim

I Can STILL buy it vefore the year ends, but it won't be delivered until February.

What do you think of the camera though ?

Guest Timothy Brown

I apologize for assuming that you couldn't purchase the camera yet.

I have no first hand knowledge of these two new HDV cams from Sony, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

From my readings and research-I contemplated the purchase myself-these cameras, the FX1 and Z1, share the same optical hardware with the advantage of the Z1 being able to record in both 60i and 50i as you stated along with XLR inputs and some other features. The early adopters have stated that the FX-1 makes beautiful 60i footage, but tends to suffer a bit from the MPEG2 compression used in the HDV spec when dealing with panning or recording moving objects. More information can be found here http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=sony and here http://www.hdvinfo.net/.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

• Premium Member

I've used both cameras the FX-1 and the Z-1, there are about 41 features to the Z-1 that were not included in the FX-1, the only ones really worth mentioning are the XLR inputs and most importantly the PAL or NTSC option. The camera is absolutely amazing for the price. If you don't mind shooting in 50i or 60i then the camera is perfect for you! And as long as you don't expect an F900 for $5,000 then I think you will definitely be happy with it.

Hi Elhanan,

Nice to have met you the other day. I'm interested in chatting with you about the Z-1.

Let me know if you'll have time after the new years. BTW, how did your HS test footage turn out?

eric

P8 Burbank

• Premium Member

Daniel,

I have seen the Sony, and while the 60i mode looks great, the Cine 24/30 modes are unusable. Sony seems intent on limiting 24p to their CineAlta cameras.

I would wait till NAB. I am keen to see what JVC, and Panasonic (maybe Canon) have to offer.

Chris Bell

Hey Chris.

Thanks for the tips.

Where did you check out the camera Z1, it's not available for sale until February 2005, so I am really interested in testing it before jumping to buying it.

The best features to me where the high resolution (amount of lines) and the option of using Pal and Ntsc. But I want to make sure I don't make a $5000 mistake.

Please let me know and thanks again.

Daniel