Help! Final Cut Pro 6 Suddenly Not Capturing Video

Jim Keller

I'm running Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 on a 2.5 GHz Quad G5 with 10 GB of RAM running OS 10.5.8.

I'm capturing via firewire in HDV format off of a JVC GR-HD1.

I've done this before, successfully, many times, and did not change any system settings, either on the computer or in Final Cut Studio (though I have run periodic system updates as they become available).

QuickTime Pro is installed and current (version 7.6.4).

When I launch my "Log and Capture" window, the camera is recognized as a deck. I can still control it. I see timecode. I can still log clips. However, the video is not showing up in the Log and Capture window, only on the camera LCD screen.

When I attempt to capture a logged clip, it launches the preview window and says "CUEING SOURCE MATERIAL" and happily cues the deck to several seconds before the logged point, begins playing, and keeps saying "CUEING SOURCE MATERIAL" long after the in point for the clip. Ultimately, I have to escape and cancel, as it will keep "cueing" until the tape literally runs out.

When I attempt to capture "Now," the preview window opens, the beach ball spins for about 30 seconds, and then Final Cut Pro crashes.

My clip settings are correct, with both audio and video selected.

I have double-checked my device control settings. They have not been changed since I was successfully capturing (HDV firewire control, HDV 720p30 format).

I am running in English, which is the default language on my OS. (The only report of something similar I could find on Apple's support pages were from someone attempting to run FCP 6 in a language that was not installed in his OS.)

iMovie captures just fine (albeit, with all the inherent iMovie limitations).

I have deleted my preferences.

I'm frankly stumped. Any ideas?

did you update to the current version of quicktime? I've had many problems with the newest version and had to go back to an older one, though the problems were not in FCP but in After Effects. Same type of thing though, quicktime files were fine in FCP but didn't work in AE.

How's your source material timecode? Is it broken at all on the tape? Try capturing the old fashioned way by just playing the tape and hitting record in the capture window and see if that works.

Dave