Any Solutions for Low-Light Filming?

Andy Pabst

I'll be shooting a friends' wedding this weekend as a present. Nothing like Super 8 home movies. I'm kind of worried about the light though as the reception will be in a dimly-lit barn and in my well-lit room the aperture is open to 1.8, practically all the way.

The camera is a Canon Auto Zoom 814 and I'm going to use Tri-X B&W film and Ektachrome64.

Any solutions for low-light shooting? Can anyone give me some advice on using some auxiliary light during filming? It needs to be fairly portable and not too invasive as I don't want to destroy the mood with some 300watt bulb.

thanks!

I'll be shooting a friends' wedding this weekend as a present. Nothing like Super 8 home movies. I'm kind of worried about the light though as the reception will be in a dimly-lit barn and in my well-lit room the aperture is open to 1.8, practically all the way.

The camera is a Canon Auto Zoom 814 and I'm going to use Tri-X B&W film and Ektachrome64.

Any solutions for low-light shooting? Can anyone give me some advice on using some auxiliary light during filming? It needs to be fairly portable and not too invasive as I don't want to destroy the mood with some 300watt bulb.

thanks!

Andy don't know if you'll get this in time but I predict you will not have enough light for the 64. If you want colour you should have negative 200 or 500.

Consider using the Minolta you mentioned in the other thread. Aperture goes to 1.2 and it has a larger shutter. You'll get over a stop of light with that over the Canon.

Rick

I'll be shooting a friends' wedding... Ektachrome64.

It is probably too late for your wedding by now, but perhaps this can be of some use to someone else...

64T needs lots of light. Don´t try to use this in a church or in any other dimly lit location. I transferred a 64T wedding from the US a few weeks ago, and all the interiors from the church were so underexposed you can´t even see one single face on anyone. You could see the church windows, but that was pretty much all you could see.

If you, or anyone else, are going to shoot super 8 on a wedding... For interiors like this you need a faster stock, unless you want to rig lots and lots of lights "on stage" in the church, and that pretty much ruins the whole wedding (it is still supposed to be a wedding and not a film shooting location, right?).

It is probably too late for your wedding by now, but perhaps this can be of some use to someone else...

64T needs lots of light. Don´t try to use this in a church or in any other dimly lit location. I transferred a 64T wedding from the US a few weeks ago, and all the interiors from the church were so underexposed you can´t even see one single face on anyone. You could see the church windows, but that was pretty much all you could see.

If you, or anyone else, are going to shoot super 8 on a wedding... For interiors like this you need a faster stock, unless you want to rig lots and lots of lights "on stage" in the church, and that pretty much ruins the whole wedding (it is still supposed to be a wedding and not a film shooting location, right?).

Dammit, well the light meter in the church wasn't in "the red" so I guess it's okay, right? We'll see.

At night I shot Tri-x b&w film with a bright light, the meter didn't move, but It was BRIGHT. I'm guessing all the black in the background is the reason the meter didn't register the light up front, on people. We'll see.